Join now - be part of our community!

HVL-F60M overheating and useless support

profile.country.GB.title
aardvark7

HVL-F60M overheating and useless support

I'm a professional photographer and have found the new flash to shutdown within a very short time for overheating. This hasn't happened to me with the HVL-F58AM or the Minolta 5600HS before.

I need a solution and I need it NOW!!!

Preferably, I would like to be able to turn of the protection and use my own common sense, but there is no instructions as to whether this might be possible. I know when the Nikon SB900 had similar issues when launched they do have the facility.

Trying to get support from Sony is like trying to pull teeth. All I get is completely irrelevant answers and, at the moment, I'm hanging on the phone waiting for 'an agent to be with me shortly'.

Is there anyone at Sony who can help, or does anyone know a dirct line?

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi  pekelly38,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

The only contact details that we have are probably the ones you have already tried - Contact Sony support

Unfortunately this is a user form so you are unlikely to get a direct response from Sony here, however we can see if one of our contacts within Sony can offer a solution that may help resolve your flash/camera problem..

As soon as we receive a reply we will post again..

profile.country.CH.title
alphaholic
Contributor

Hi pekelly 38

1st: Sorry for my poor english 😉

I know the problem with almost every flash. In your case it`s may be a problem with the batteries because it`s a very strong flast which needs lots of power. Waht can you do?

-choose a battery with high mAh, par example 2000 or 2500. These batteries wil not heat up this fast

-choos the camerasettings so that you dont need 100% of the flashpower

-if your flash seams to be overheatet, change the batteries, if these are cold, the flash will work longer

I think, the key is the strength of the batteries, but the other things will help too.

regards from Switzerland!

alphaholic

Message was edited by: alphaholic

Via Manolo:

Manual HVL-F60M: Do not use the flash for 20 times in a row or in rapid succession to

prevent camera and flash unit may heat or deteriorate (if the level of

intensity is 1/32, 40 times in a row).

Discontinue the use of the flash unit and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes

if the flash is activated for a number of times than the limit allowed

in rapid succession.

Message was edited by: alphaholic

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Aardvark7,

on checking with Sony it seems that there is not an option to disable the auto shut off as this is designed to protect the product..

So I hope the information posted above offers you some form of workaround..:smileyhappy:

Edit: Another option that has been suggested is when the flash shuts down try to changing the batteries for a fresh cool set..:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
aardvark7

Thanks for the help, but I hope you realise that I am a professional photographer and have a great deal of experience with flash. That the F60 shuts down on me, yet it was never an issue with the F58 or 5600 tells me that Sony have got it wrong.

Also, I know it is not a unit problem as it happens with both I own.

I NEED a way to turn the protection off. Such is available on the Nikon SB900 (which had a very similar problem when released), so I see no reason why Sony cannot do likewise.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi aardvark7,

the feedback you have received, other than from me, is from very competent photographers..:smileywink:

Another option that may help is to try using an external power supply, something like the Sony FA-EB1AM, to power the flash..:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
aardvark7

Thanks Thalamus,

I could try that, but it requires greater expense and, more importantly, is really awkward in a wedding environment. It's bad enough with two pro DSLRs and glass, but having two packs on my waist and curly wires which can't easily be put down is the stuff of nightmares.

In the meantime, however, I have been speaking to a Sony employee (not part of the derisory support system) who tells me that this is a known issue; that is it is not just known as part of the flash, but that it compromises the use!

If Sony are serious about challenging Canon and Nikon they need to avoid these mistakes if possible but, more importantly, address them appropriately and quickly when they become aware. To keep silent and pretend it doesn't happen is not going to win any friends and likely lose them the foothold they have.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

aardvark7 wrote:

Thanks Thalamus,

I could try that, but it requires greater expense and, more importantly, is really awkward in a wedding environment. It's bad enough with two pro DSLRs and glass, but having two packs on my waist and curly wires which can't easily be put down is the stuff of nightmares.

Hmm doesn't sound like a sensible option now..

aardvark7 wrote:

In the meantime, however, I have been speaking to a Sony employee (not part of the derisory support system) who tells me that this is a known issue; that is it is not just known as part of the flash, but that it compromises the use!

If Sony are serious about challenging Canon and Nikon they need to avoid these mistakes if possible but, more importantly, address them appropriately and quickly when they become aware. To keep silent and pretend it doesn't happen is not going to win any friends and likely lose them the foothold they have.

Lets hope the Sony employee can help you achieve a solution to this issue..:smileyhappy:

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hello aardwark7

the most effective workaround to counteract the risk of overheat in practical use during a shooting is to just use a higher manual ISO setting (e.g. ISO 800 instead of ISO200 -> flash will only need 1/4 of its GN) ) setting on the camera.This will prevent that the flash has to fire with very high output levels and therefore minimizes the heat up of the flash tube.

Also do not use bounce  flash if you know that you need to take a lot of flash images in short sequence as the flash will have to output much more energy in bounce position to illuminate the scene.

Finally the use of clip on softeners/diffusors can increase the heat up effect of the flash tube housing.

Best Regards

Michael

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi aardwark7,

did you get any further information from the Sony emplyee that you were speaking with.?