Join now - be part of our community!

will minolta lens fit sony alpha?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
riverwhy
Visitor

will minolta lens fit sony alpha?

i have an old minolta dynax 7000i AF with 2 minolta lenses, 24mm & 35-110mm. Will these fit/work on an Alpha A100 or any other sony digital camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi riverwhy, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Generally, all Minolta AF (ie Minolta a-mount) lenses from Minolta will work on Sony alpha cameras. This may include the e-mount NEX range, if used with an LA-EA1 or 2 adaptor, although there may be restrictions.

Sony have a page for compatibility with each Alpha range. This is the page for the a65 which should be good for most Sony a-mount cameras: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A65/compatibility – seach on 'Lenses', then 'Accessory brand' in the Show compatibility... dropdown menus.

Without a little more info I'm not sure if your lenses are Minolta a-mount. I don't see a 35-110 in the list linked above. However, that doesn't mean you can't use it; you might be able to mount it and manually focus, for example.

This rather in-depth page is very useful for troubleshooting most Minolta>Sony lens compatibility issues, including NEX e-mount: http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/faq.php#lens_a100 – worth the read :cool:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Mick2011
New

Hi riverwhy, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Generally, all Minolta AF (ie Minolta a-mount) lenses from Minolta will work on Sony alpha cameras. This may include the e-mount NEX range, if used with an LA-EA1 or 2 adaptor, although there may be restrictions.

Sony have a page for compatibility with each Alpha range. This is the page for the a65 which should be good for most Sony a-mount cameras: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A65/compatibility – seach on 'Lenses', then 'Accessory brand' in the Show compatibility... dropdown menus.

Without a little more info I'm not sure if your lenses are Minolta a-mount. I don't see a 35-110 in the list linked above. However, that doesn't mean you can't use it; you might be able to mount it and manually focus, for example.

This rather in-depth page is very useful for troubleshooting most Minolta>Sony lens compatibility issues, including NEX e-mount: http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/faq.php#lens_a100 – worth the read :cool:

Cheers

Mick

riverwhy
Visitor

thanks Mick - i had a look at that and it seems likely the lenses will work, with some restrictions..

the zoom is actually 35-105 but i can't positively identify it in the list - the number on the lens is 13112905.

It's f4.5.   The numbers on the list of lenses for the 35-105 F4.5 are 2554 & 2585 but i'm not sure if that is relevant.

The number on my 24mm F2.8 is 20291129 F2.8 - again i don't see that number on the list..   The numbers against that lens are 2566  & 2642

the main restriction for the lenses listed is that the lens compensation doesn't work..  i'm not sure that that is that important.

riverwhy
Visitor

furhter to that, looking here for compatibility with the A100  www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DSLR-A100/compatibility it seems the 24mm & 35-105 are fully compatible.. though i'm noit sure how to tell if they are exactly my lenses - see notes on kens numbers above

gimp69
Visitor

It's really simple.

EVERY Minolta AF lens works on EVERY Sony dSLR/SLT.  That's it.

The Minolta 24mm f2.8 is a very nice lens, have a look on eBay at what they go for, sell it and put the money towards the new camera.

The 35-105mm isn't a very useful range, the 35mm end isn't wide enough and the 105mm end not long enough.  Sell it and again, put the money towards the new camera.

With the cash you can decide on whether to get a Sony or another brand.

riverwhy
Visitor

thanks gimp69

i think my best option might be just to buy a s/h A100 body (about £120)..

i used the 35-105 as my standard lens on the dynax and it was excellent. Don't often need > 105... if i do i try to get a bit closer   🙂

gimp69
Visitor

Hi,

Re: 35-105mm

You miss the point about it not being wide enough. :wink:

You are going from a film camera, when you put your 35-105mm lens onto a APS-C sensor dSLR, the lens becomes the equivalent of putting a 52-157mm on your Dynax 7000i.

The lens will not be wide enough on a APS-C sensor dSLR due to the "crop factor", have a look here for an explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

For a basic kit lens you need something like the Sony 18-55mm or older Sony 18-70mm.

riverwhy
Visitor

ah - thanks gimp69

very useful info - i was wondering how the DSLRs got away with 18mm lenses without a fish-eye effect.

i've bought a sony A200 with the 18-70 & the 70-300   🙂  Will put my minolta lenses on EBAY.. 🙂

gimp69
Visitor

I started out with the A200 with 18-70mm, great camera.  Then the A700 and now the A77.  My wallet is always empty for some reason... :smileygrin: