Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 DVD has no Digital channels

SOLVED
Flatbrat
Explorer

RDR-HXD890 DVD has no Digital channels

Help!!!!! My RDR-HXD890 has lost ALL channels- no EPG - zilch - Whats going on? Is Sony going to fix the problems? Does anybody know?

I have tried all the possible scenario's but no luck!

114 REPLIES 114

HELLO ALL

Same problem Here. Lost all digital channels, just a black screen. The tuner still seems to somtimes show the chanel info (such as BBC breakfast)

The DVD player and HDD playback still seems to work.

I tried the firmware update this starts okay then it just hangs at DOWNLOAD-5 with the tray open forever. left it all night and tried again with a CDR and  writable DVD - both got stuck at DOWNLOAD-5.

I thought the heat had killed the unit - but if everyone has the same problem at the same time looks a bit more suspect. - maybe a bad update was broadcast?

I thought it may also be interferrence form the rollout of 4G but I was assuered by 'at800'  that there is no test transmission in my area at this time.

Dear Sony - What is the problem and more importantly how do we fix this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

From captainpacific on the AV Forums:

"Temporary partial fix for this:

I tuned my Pioneer DVR-560 (the Sony's should be very similar or identical) as a French person - so selecting "France" when doing a replace channels re-tune. Don't worry, it won't all come up in French - but it did produce all 118 viewable channels - no more blank screens!

However, the EPG is still screwed, so I can't set recordings through that. But, manually setting recordings does work."

http://www.avforums.com/forums/19335142-post43.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/19335299-post55.html

Hello,

HXD890

Thanks to the above comment

:slight_smile: Just went in to the menu and selected replace channels, Then selected French option and it went through the motions of tuning, It then spent a few minutes auto tuning the clock...and then it actaully appears to be ok. :slight_smile:

Great fix for the short term to get the digi channels back. I will try the firmware update again and then see if it will retune for UK.

Additional - My Update now appears to go ahead but I still need to select France to get the tuner to work afer it completes. It is only a partial solution becuase the Digital Guide is still empty

Good Luck

andyleroo
Explorer

Me too same symptoms but with a RDR-HXD870.  I also tried updating to the latest firmware (to 1.7 from 1.68 I think) but it was stuck at download 5 for ages.  Eventually had to pull the power cord (despite understanding this was maybe not a good thing to do I figured I was stuffed either way).  On restarting it seems the update was OK I'm now at 1.7 but with the same problem (no digital channels and no EPG).  Having seen all these people with the same problem I'm a little more relaxed about it.  Now I'm waiting to call Sony on Monday and sit and wait for everyone to be processed :nauseated_face:

KATHY9090

The same has happened to me as of last night. Hope Sony will sort it out quickly

KATHY9090

Get it sorted
profile.country.GB.title
stevied

Fanta Dear Customer,

E-mail support is not available at this time due to maintenance.

We suggest to browse our website which contains many answers to common questions.

You can also reach us by phone.

The Sony Support team stic.

esmerelda25
Explorer

I tried to record programme last night,the background was blue on epg guide,with only few listings downloaded.When pressing the red timer recording button,all info disappeared.Gave up in the end.This morning the update message has been displayed since 7.30.Its good to know its not just my recorder.

Flatbrat
Explorer

I posted the following 2 hrs ago........

HDD/DVD Recorders - No signal/channel

I have just logged the following message to SONY via their contact-us form - hopefully they may see it over the weekend (:smileygood_luck:

" Please see community Blog - the automatic software update on digital HDD/DVD players made by Sony across the board on Friday, 19th July 2013 has failed.

My RDR-HXD890 does not have any digital channels, EPG or any Digital Signal. My 1st response yesterday was to re-scan, recorder shows all available channels are picked up, but no signal throughput? My 2nd response was to try & update the software downloaded from your website - the recorder gets to DOWNLOAD-5 and gets stuck - none of the switches on either the remote or the HDD will function - only solution was to unplug-wait & re-connect.

This morning the recorder is stuck on update! It appears that ALL your customers are having the same problem. I had 5 programmes scheduled to record from yesterday evening - of course nothing has recorded, as no signal/channels available.

I am sure there are a lot of customers out there who are not technically savvy, they would automatically think their equipment has failed, so go out and replace it - BUT once this episode gets out your reputation will be in tatters! SONY - do something very urgently!"

:smileywink:

apm001
Explorer

I've a HXD870 in the same condition.  I upgraded to 1.70 this morning, which seem to work fine (It didn't get stuck at Download 5), but I still had no digital channels until I switched to FRANCE.  

Now no EPG which isn't acceptable.

There's no mention of a Sony over-the-air upgrade being broadcast at the moment :(see http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php)

Is this a failed software update by Sony, or a change to the EPG transmittion that Sony isn't ready for.

No noticed any change on any other digital tuners (2 Sony TVs, a Sharp set-top box and a Panasonic PVR)