Join now - be part of our community!

Thankyou SONY

Mr_Onion

Thankyou SONY

I know I will be standing alone here, but in all seriousness Thankyou SONY.

The problem wasn't of your making, it happened on late Friday/Saturday when all decent Tech people are still in bed and yet some posters think that YOU are responsible, should have foreseen it and should be made to pay. I am glad to say that I am not in that number.

As I understand it the problem occurred in a 3rd party software conflicting with the SONY's own programming. Who could foresee that?

The worst that could have happened as a consumer is that a few programs did not record. SO WHAT? Its not the end of the world. No one has died. No fluffy kittens were harmed.

GET A LIFE!

If you chose to purchase a new recorder without checking with a SONY repair agent if it could get fixed (as I was going to do today) then whose fault is that?

Get over it and move on.

A happy SONY user not connected with the company in any other way.

4 REPLIES 4

I can understand that the blame may not fully be with Sony but even if the digital guide/EPG goes a bit wonky if it is not transmitted correctly - this is no reason to lose the digital tuner and produce a blank screen. Is It?

Many other digital tuners did not suffer this problem - so obviosuly the Sony units are susceptible to a problem that many other units are not. This is somthing that does need fixing by Sony now that they know about it.

I am not blaming Sony but I do expect them to remove the possibility of the problem happening again.

I would save my thanks until the possibility of the problem happening again is resolved.

Once it is fixed we can all thank the Sony Engineers for a good job well done....but not before.

I do wish the Sony team all the best in making the unit more robust - or maybe offering a massive discount on a new improved model :wink:

pewrigh38

issues also on pioneer and techwood models by vestel, possibly other vestel made "badges" too, so not limited to just sony

and sony no longer make or rebadge dvd recorders never mind sell them, they probably havent actually made any for several years seeing as they rebadged pioneer and samsung models

but lets not allow facts to spoil a good myth eh ? lol

I do agree with you that I hpe sony or pioneer issue a firmware update to minimise any future problems if this epg data fiasco happens again,

the hard part is knowing who is to blame and who to complain to, and how

butterfly33
Explorer

I am stiil unable to get the epg on my recorder although I have reset the programmes. Ican only record manually which is very annoying.Can you help please?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi butterfly33,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

Does the following advice from Sony help..

we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks