Join now - be part of our community!

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Hi all,

To avoid having several thread son the same subject I thought I'd try an let you know what I believe has happened so far, please don't shot the messenger after all I am only a user like yourselves & DO NOT WORK FOR SONY..

As you all have noticed Sony do not have technical support on the weekends, one of the 'Experts' noticed several users posting regarding RDR machines either stuck in Update or Digital channels missing and emailed one of our contacts in Sony this morning but as far as I am aware there has not been a reply..

I have also noticed that the newly appointed Community Managers have as also flagged this issue to their dedicated team (see post), unfortunately as it's the weekend I wouldn't expect any information to made available until Monday..

Quinnicus has posted two temporary workarounds that will hopefully allow you to use your RDR's..

For those stuck in Update please click HERE

For those with the No Digital Channels Issue please click HERE

I can imagine that you are frustrated by the lack of official response from Sony but could I ask that rather than creating several threads on the subject you instead just click on Me Too on this thread that will indicate how many users that have visited the forum are affected by the problem..

I am affected by the current RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue & have clicked on Me Too

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

167 REPLIES 167
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

In case anyone has missed this here is the latest announcement from Sony..

A copy of which is shown below..

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555

Many thanks

forresjohn
Explorer

The recommended solution works. But it was just by chance that I spotted the internet message aboy Sony and EPG. Sony should have put out a more public notice. Thanks to Sony Community (not Sony) for clear advice on solution.

Does resetting to factory settings lose everything on the hard disk????

Mr_Onion

AFAIK going to factory settings wipes timer settings, the program list, PIN code , user options but nothing else. so the programs on the HD should be safe

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I can confirm nothing is touched on the HDD contents. You'll loose all the personal setting you made (including timers) in the setup menu.

Thanks all for your help. I've reset to factory settings and all is now OK. I can confirm, as you told me, that the HDD was unaffected. I must say that I am most disappointed in Sony, I emailed them on Sunday and asked their advice/or to email me know when solution available-still waiting for a reply. I'm just lucky my son (who's more up with Computers) found the answer for me here.

pewrigh38

SONY PLEASE NOTE

THE FAULT HAS RE-OCCURRED , SAME FAULT AS 11 DAYS AGO

EMAIL SENT

Mr_Onion

Mine is working perfectly using the Belmont transmitter, so I guess it is transmitter related (unless you know different) and has nothing to do with SONY

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi all,
Just to let you all know Sony are aware that some of you are reporting your RDR are stuck in update mode again and the problem is being investigated..

If I get any information I will pass it on asap..
binbags

Hi All

Once again, the same problem with my HXD870.  It was receiving transmissions from the Lancashire Tx "Winter hill", that is, when it was ok.

The only other point I have to make is that my EPG is fed from my old Sky digital rcvr on channel 410 as the analogue channels are now dead.  So if the data is being streamed to me by satellite then this points more to the firmware problem, yes???