Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio pro screen sleep issue after win 8.1

Caoimh1n
Explorer

Vaio pro screen sleep issue after win 8.1

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

I have recently updated to windows 8.1 on my vaio pro, and now when the screen goes to sleep, I am unable to get it back on without hard rebooting the vaio. I have also noticed that, if left alone/inactive for a while, the machine randomly shuts itself down, losing anything I was working on at the time.

I have it setup in the power options to never turn the machine off, but to turn the display off after 10 mins.I have also updated all the drivers on the downloads page, but none of them seem to sort the issue.

I have only got the vaio a week now, and it's seriously starting to annoy me, especially for the amount of money it costs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

I'm seeing the exact same problem.  Vaio Pro 13" SVP1321C5E.  Very frustrating!

I should add that it only happens when I'm on battery power.  If I'm plugged into the mains, there are no issues that I've seen.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisF500
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem with my SVP1321C5E - it won't wake up after sleep and I have to shut it down and reboot. All drivers are up to date.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisF500
Explorer

I should add that this happens when I'm plugged in (I haven't checked what happens when I'm running off battery power)

zaphoid
New

I am also having this very annoying issue after updating to windows 8.1  (model number SVP1321C5E)

The effect is a windows kernel event id 41 error (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504), scenario 3 with 0x0 in all parameters - dirty shutdown without any warning/saving work..

It happens every time the computer display is turned of by the computer to conserve power. But curiously enough it does not happen when the computer goes into sleep mode (when i just checked, it would could turn on by pushing the assist button).

It happens independently of power source

So i guess a temporary fix is to not allow the display to turn off

[Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings -> Turn off display = never]

zaphoid
New

Hm just tried an instance where the computer wouldn't start up after a sleep. So guess this is still a full blown bloody annoying issue...

For the record here is the error message from event viewer:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          24/10/2013 12:21:54
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      xxx
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>3</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-24T10:21:54.837660000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7879</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>zaphoid</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

spchris62
Explorer

Same problem for me with my SVP1321M2EB after updating to Win 8.1.

When the screen goes to sleep, I cannot wake the vaio at unless I hard reboot it.

For now I turned off screen's sleeping until Sony or Microsoft address the issue

kldw40w4000
Explorer

Same problem for my SVP1321M2EB. I have tried 3 times, so im confused spending time on this. Other problems are screen light in powersetting don't save, and strage pixels or resolution but windows show it at 1080p.

MaximBer
New

Try to update to graphics driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208... as mentionned in this US sony forum thread http://community.sony.com/t5/Windows-8/Sony-Vaio-Duo-13-does-not-respond-once-asleep/m-p/207581/high... .

Also, there is an ongoing discussion on Microsoft community forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-81-does-not-wake-fro... that you may want to follow: even if this seems to affect only Pro and Duo users, the regionalization of Sony forums does not help sony users accross the world to centralize their issues...