Join now - be part of our community!

A-390 have a grid for The Rule of Thirds?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
SLLAW79
Visitor

A-390 have a grid for The Rule of Thirds?

Hi

I have a Sony A-390 and have been on pohotgraphy course this weekend just gone (23/07/11).  Found it very helpful and learnt few new this about my camera.  One thing I struggled with was finding the GRID that is standard on all camera's even really cheap ones.  The grid I'm talking about appears when you hit the 'DISP' button couple of times and this then helps you take photos etc.  I couldn't find it anywhere on this camera and find it very odd if it's not on it, as my old W300 had it and so have older camera's.

Does anyone know how to find it as saw answer on Yahoo which said it does have the option, but not saying where it maybe.  Any help would be great as need it for my course and for general photography.

Have been on to Sony "Helpline" and they don't understand what I am asking about even after trying very slowly to explain to them.  Ask in shop and where I brought and got some weekend kid who knew nothing.

Thanks

Sarah :slight_smile:

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Yeah that's a good suggestion Sam.

My experience of thirds grids is that they tend to take over your composition, where a basic understanding of the rule should be more than enough to place subjects and objects in the right 'neck of the woods' without forcing your natural eye too much.

If you're getting serious about photography it's as important to start to find your own way as it is to play by the rules. For what it's worth, I use a standard grid, about 4x4, to help me keep horizons and verticals straight.

I'd certainly recommend using a grid, but for specific things like experimenting with the rule of thirds I think I'd be quite happy with Sam's suggestion.

Just my 2¢ :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mick2011
New

HI Sarah, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I don't think the A-390 has a selectable thirds grid. It does have the same viewfinder as the older A380 and know the focussing screen is interchangable on that, which might be a solution, as it would give you the option of installing a screen with a grid of your choice etched in. 

I'll check this out for you and get back to you here.

Cheers

Mick

SLLAW79
Visitor

Hi Mick

Thank you for that, I've just got back from asking the guy I brought my camera off in Jessops and he couldn't find anything either.

Only suggestion is if I do want something like that would be to swap it for a Nikon model around same price.  I sort of like my Sony apart from this grid thing not being available on it.

Thank you again and look forward to hearing from you.

Sarah

Sam_e_p
New

If it's essential then why not buy an LCD protector with the Ro3rds printed on it?

Mick2011
New

Yeah that's a good suggestion Sam.

My experience of thirds grids is that they tend to take over your composition, where a basic understanding of the rule should be more than enough to place subjects and objects in the right 'neck of the woods' without forcing your natural eye too much.

If you're getting serious about photography it's as important to start to find your own way as it is to play by the rules. For what it's worth, I use a standard grid, about 4x4, to help me keep horizons and verticals straight.

I'd certainly recommend using a grid, but for specific things like experimenting with the rule of thirds I think I'd be quite happy with Sam's suggestion.

Just my 2¢ :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mick

SLLAW79
Visitor

Thank you both of you for your help.  It was mainly for this course I'm more than anything and have decided it's not really worth swapping the camera for.

One last question do you know where I could get a lens protector with the grid lines on it?  As I couldn't find one on Sony site.

Thank you once again, big help:smileyhappy:

Sarah