Join now - be part of our community!

A6000, OS X Yosemite and Firmware Updates

A6000, OS X Yosemite and Firmware Updates

Hoping someone may be able to help me out...

2 problems:

Problem 1

- OS X Yosemite user

- Trying to update lens firmware for A6000 lenses from 0.1v to 0.2v

- Lenses: SEL1855 and SEL55210

- Firmware: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-sel-firmware-update-ver02-mac/ILCE-6...

As far as I can tell I am following all their guidelines:

- Full battery

- Official USB cable

- USB connection set to 'Mass Storage'

- Macbook has all the requires space/hardware

- Memory card removed from device

- Relevant lens attached

I've tried switching which USB port I am using and have also switched the device off/on, restarted the software, etc etc. Every time I get the following error message...

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 15.56.23.png

So... what gives? Is it simply that I am using OSX 10 and this OS isn't yet supported? 

Problem 2

- A6000 using the 'Smart Remote Embedded' application

- Using iPhone 5s running ios 8, running 'PlayMemories Mobile' 

- Able to connect iPhone to camera, but the app does not allow full manual control

- I know full manual control is possible as I have seen it used on an A6000 on Youtube (see http://youtu.be/BFmzoZbcrqM?t=3m49s)

The only possible reason that I can see is that on the 'PlayMemories' website there is the following in the 'Notice/Maintainece' section:

- (12/09/14) Distribution of "Smart Remote Control" Temporarily Suspended. Distribution of "Smart Remote Control" has been temporarily suspended. We will let you know follow-up information on this site. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I can only imagine that I am currently running an older version of the application and that I cannot update it as the app is currently suspended...? What do you think is going on? 

Thanks,

Mike

9 REPLIES 9

Anyone else having issues upgrading to the new A6000 camera firmware on OS X Yosemite (10.10)??

olly___
New

I am getting exactly the same issue with Yosmite and the A6000. I would be keen to know from Sony about Yosmite support.

Yes exactly the same problem here. Sony please invest some money in the software quality for the camera's, so that the developers can actually create some cool stuff!! Don't forget quality should be the deadline, not a marketing campagne...

Tuscen
Explorer

I have the same issue but with the camera firmware update on Yosemite. Sony, please, fix it. I can't use remote control without 1.10 update.

spiff24x
New

Same problem here...trying to update firmware on the A6000 on yosemite, i get the same error... 

profile.country.en_GB.title
Liverpoolpete
Explorer

Hi,

I had this problem too for my A7 firmware update.

I found a solution at DPreview.com user LBJ2

I downloaded and installed A77M2 ver 2.0 update for Mac from Sony UK at:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-ilca77m2-firmware-update-ver2_00-mac...

For Mac Yosemite users only: The new Mac Yosemite OS X requires you download and install an additional kernel extension DL100_1411a.dmg prior to downloading and installing the actual Update_ILCA77M2V200.dm software.

*** kernel extension NOT needed for earlier versions of Mac OS. Follow instructions provided for your particular operating system.

This did not relate direcly to my A7 model, but I downloaded the kernel, clicked open, and when I re ran the firmware updater for my a7, the firmware uploaded and worked. I use a imac mid 2011 model with latest Yosemite OS!

Thank you LBJ2!

Tuscen
Explorer

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Or I did something wrong. But thanks for trying to help.

G-Mack
Explorer

I am having same problem! updated new kernel as above tried re running software and still not working. SONY this NOT cool!

profile.country.NO.title
639menow
Explorer

a6000 and el capitan here.

how old OS X is needed to be compatible with sony's macs that they test on?

playmemories; same issue