Join now - be part of our community!

Best memory card for NEX 5 to shoot 7fps bursts

profile.country.sk_SK.title
Psychadelico
Visitor

Best memory card for NEX 5 to shoot 7fps bursts

I am using a Sony NEX 5. I want to shoot sports action using Speed Priority Continual mode at 7fps. To cover a snowboard jump with take-off and landing I need about 20 photos at 7 fps shot in 1 burst. The known problem is the internal memory buffer of Sony NEX 5 is about 120 MB large and fills up after about 12-16 shots and the burst slows down to about 2.5 fps in the end of the action taken spoiling the whole thing. I just bought a class-8 Memory Stick Pro HG Duo of HX series thinking I might finally solve the problem, but the improvement comparing to my SanDisk older card is almost none. I am very disapointed. I can do 16 photos in 1 burst BUT only with medium size jpg option (7.4 Mpix). Can anyone provide some real-practice based advice about exact card model which would allow 20 pics burst at 7 fps in full res 14 Mpix jpg? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.IT.title
fishhawk
New

You can try a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC 45MB UHS-1.

profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Psychadelico - welcome to the Sony Forums!

I agree with the reply given already that the newer, faster Sandisk cards are a great option for recording the maximum amount of data in the smallest amount of time. The resolution will also have a huge part to play and I would probably advise experimenting with all of the various megapixel sizes before purchasing other memory cards - it depends if you intend to get large prints done of these photos or have another use in mind that will require a high resolution.

Trying various memory cards and speeds can be a costly business so unless you have friends with various memory cards that you can try, I would advise experimenting with the resolution first of all.

Hope this works out for you,

Simon