Join now - be part of our community!

Can you change the size of the embedded jpg in the RAW file?

profile.country.GB.title
photoben
Explorer

Can you change the size of the embedded jpg in the RAW file?

As the title says, the embedded jpg in the raw file is bloody tiny. I use Photo Mechanic to view and organise my files, an I currently have to shoot a small jpg alongside the raw, otherwise when I'm viewing the file I can't see if the photo is in focus or not! 

Can't seem to find an option to do this, and if there isn't, who do I speak to at Sony to suggest this change?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @photoben,

well, you didn't tell us which camera you're talking about.

The embedded JPGs of my A6500 have 1616*1080 pixels. That's fair enough from my point of view. Maybe it's rather a problem with the software you're using (which I don't know)?

You can easily find out the real solution of the embedded JPGs by means of Picture Information Extractor. The link leads directly to the download page. The free version shows it all but does not allow making changes to the meta data. The information about the size of the embedded JPG can be found close to the bottom of the EXIF list once you marked your raw file in the file manager list.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
photoben
Explorer

Apologies for the late reply. 

The issue is the embedded jpg is 1616 x 1080px, so when doing my selection, I cannot zoom into an image to tell whether it is in focus. 

The camera is an A7III, though the same issue I had with my A7RIII.

Seems crazy the jpg is so small. I have to shoot RAW+JPG to solve this issue. Ideally, I just want RAW. 

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @photoben,

@photoben  wrote:

The issue is the embedded jpg is 1616 x 1080px, so when doing my selection, I cannot zoom into an image to tell whether it is in focus. 

Okay, I believe that I've now hopefully understood what your problem is. So, if I'm right, you like to shoot in RAW mode only (no JPEGs) and want to zoom in into an image on the display of the camera which obviously does not show an adequate result in your case.

Well, I do not possess any A7 but actually I do not believe that this behaviour has got anything to do with the embedded JPG. That JPG is only used like any other thumbnail. It's only there to allow for a quick presentation of the HQ image when e.g. scrolling through several images. It would simply take too long to decode lots of RAWs when scrolling through a bunch of them. When zooming in by means of the camera normally the full size version should be used so that you would actually be able to determine the focus. Anyhow, I'm going to ask someone who's got that model as well and see what he can tell me about it.

At least on my A6500 I can zoom in into images taken RAW only without any problem. Well, hopefully we'll find a solution.

Finally: In case the problem does occur in the software which you're using (Photo Mechanic) only I'd rather say that it's a problem of the software but not one of the camera.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
photoben
Explorer

Oh Photo Mechanic has been an industry standard raw viewer for over a decade now, it's amazing check it out.

One of the reasons why it's so good is it view the embedded jpg in the raw file to view it, rather than the actual raw file, enabling faster selection. This is not a problem on ANY other brand, as the jpg matches the raw file size - in pixels - so all good. But for some reason Sony ARW only have this TINY jpg in them. It's crazy.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @photoben,

well, I'm no professional but a hobbyist only with a focus on video so do not need to be that quick. Anyhow, I've had a closer look to Photo Mechanic meanwhile and do see your point.

And yes, even the RAW files from my old Canon contain a full size embedded JPG. Well, I'll relay your proposal for a full size embedded JPG to a Sony tech board to which I've got access to (only for proposals like yours). Thereafter we can only wait and see what happens.

Cheers

darkframe

profile.country.GB.title
photoben
Explorer

Awesome, thank you.

Whilst you are there, would you also mention that it would be great to be able to transfer raw files to my phone via phone app, please? I used to be able to do this six years ago with my Nikon setup, it's frustrating the only option on the app is a small jpg. Modern phone can shoot an edit raw no problem, so I don't know why this feature is missing.

Thanks,

Ben

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @photoben,

sorry, I was a bit too busy in the last days so I've only now sent an email to my contact. Okay, let's wait and see ...

Cheers

darkframe

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @photoben,

sorry, sad news. This is what I've got as an answer from my contact:

Embedding JPG preview into the RAW is a mechanism designed for cameras to operate in a most efficient manner (previewing). Of course some software back on that mechanism allowing to speed up the preview, but this is not supported as a camera feature. Increasing the size of the embedded jpg may cause performance issues on the camera and increase RAW files size, and they’re already quite large as they are. So best way would be to use RAW+JPG capture, with JPG set to minimum available size.

Well, that obviously means that "they" don't see any benefit in providing a full size embedded JPG into the RAW image hence I'm afraid that you've got to live with it.

Grüße

darkframe