Join now - be part of our community!

Help needed taking passport photo shots of myself with Sony A300

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Help needed taking passport photo shots of myself with Sony A300

My passport is about to expire and I want to renew it online using a portrait shot with my A300.

...problem is, I live alone and have no one to press the shutter for me!

I have never mastered the camera since I bought it but I have set it up on a tripod, and I'm trying to get an acceptable result.

Tthe program set to Portrait with the 18-70mm Sony lens set to 70mm and the focus set to manual using the AF/MF slide switch.

I have activated the 10 second shutter delay and whilst the camera does give me time to get in shot, it does not blur the background at all.

How can I set up the shot to achieve a clear (but not harsh) focus on my face whilst the background is blurred to the max?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Theracles

I know nothing about camera's, so maybe another forum member can help. 

However 2 bits of general advice:

• Instead of using your camera on your own, have you thought of the photo booths outside of places like Asda/Tesco's etc?
  • The Post Office offer a Passport Check service (for a fee), but can save time and effort in the long run : http://www.postoffice.co.uk/passport-check-send

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Hi Quinnicus, yes, I've thought of passport booths but that would require a postal passport application in view of the paper photograph. I've also investigated the other option of using highstreet photograpers shops.

Unfortunately, unlike Dick Turpin, they don't wear a mask to perform their "service"!

They insist in supplying you with the required jpeg file only on a brand new 2GB USB Drive, ...at a cost of £10!

They refuse to email the file and dispense with the unwanted USB drive in return for a lesser charge.

This is why I thought it was time my hitherto unemployed camera could earn its keep!! :slight_smile:

Hope someone can offer advice before the tripod becomes a fixture in my lounge!

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Having received a "didn't we do well" message from Sony regarding this question, I thought I'd update it.

By the way, note to Sony staff, it might be helpfull when sending out this type of message to include a direct link to the question concerned rather than making us poor saps google for the community, sign in, and find the target thread!

This faff I'm sure will induce apathy and irritation more frequently than praise!

Back to my efforts to satisfy HMPO's list of requirements to achieve an acceptable passport image.

The problem I was seeking help with was how to achieve an image where I was in focus whilst the background (a metre behind me) was out of focus, ...the more fuzzy the better, if you know what I mean!

The camera in its wisdom, focused on the background when I pressed the shutter, well it would wouldn't it, since there was no one in front of it!

This lead to pics of what appeared to be Fozzie Bear, in front of a pin sharp background!

Lacking any solution from the community, I tried various settings to no avail, finally propping up a mop at my approximate position upon which the camera could focus.

The ten second delay allowed me (almost) sufficient time to replace mop with self and resulted in a variety of Mr Bean style comedic results and the odd one which might aspire to fall within the requirements of HMPO.

Never was the saying "If you look like your passport photo, you really shouldn't be travelling" more apt!

...we await their decision!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @theracles

Thanks for posting back.  Im not 100% sure on the 'didnt we do well' email - but most likely its an autogenerated email.  Will pass on your comments about a link to the thread - agree with you, I do.

Nice work-around too.  I hope you didnt send any 'mop' photos to the passport office !  :grin:  Although I have seen some peoples hairstyles and its not too dis-similar.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Thanks Quinnicus, yes that email was an auto generated "no reply" one, a link like the one in the reply notifications  would be really helpful.

Not sure the end result of my photo shoot will pass muster, has all the hallmarks of Bean's manic glazed look crossed with the bill board poster for the shining!

It might just scare HMPO into submission!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @theracles

I have sent you a private message :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
adwalker777
Explorer

Why can't you invite someone who can take a photo? Besides, I remembered a situation, when I was buying fake id, lol, I was underage and I had to send them my photo. It was quite a fun story indeed. My friend arrived and we started to try to take a photo of me, lol, it was so fun. By the way, this fake id I've got(owing to the info provided in the review about usa fake id) was really qualitative and hard to distinguish from the original. Great review!

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

'cos the only folks who pass my door are the bin men and the postman.

I do have family, ...nearest about 140 miles away and most friends are now similarly distant, or dead! 

profile.country.GB.title
Jpglasgow
Explorer

I am not familiar with the A300, use an SLT-65v myself, but assuming you can adjust the aperture, open it up, and sit with your back to a window  on a bright sunny day, place a clear white sheet over your curtain rail (to defuse the bright light and avoid unwanted shadows) if you don't have a suitable background to use.