Join now - be part of our community!

Is the Lens SAL-50F14 compatible with a290?

SOLVED
profile.country.uk_UA.title
IgorG.
Visitor

Is the Lens SAL-50F14 compatible with a290?

I am interested is the Lens SAL-50F14 is compatible with a290? I didn't find it in the section of compatible devices, does it mean I can't use it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
gimp69
Visitor

Yes.  I have this lens myself.

However you may like to consider the cheaper Sony 50mm f1.8 if you don't need the f1.4.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gimp69
Visitor

Yes.  I have this lens myself.

However you may like to consider the cheaper Sony 50mm f1.8 if you don't need the f1.4.

profile.country.uk_UA.title
IgorG.
Visitor

Is the difference between these lenses really visible?

gimp69
Visitor

The main difference between them (other than max aperture and price!) is that the 50mm f1.4 can be used on both a APS-C sensor camera such as your A290 and a full frame camera like the A850/A900.  The 50mm f1.8 is designed for use only on an APS-C camera like yours.  Does it make a difference to you?  Nope.

In terms of sharpness, stopped down they are both as good as each other.  Where the f1.4 wins is that it gets sharp at f2, the f1.8 doesn't get sharp until around f2.8.  Only you can decide if that is worth the difference in cost, I would say that you will be happy with the 50mm f1.8 and save yourself some money.

You can also pickup the Minolta 50mm f1.7 off eBay for about £70-80 that is also worth considering and saves you even more cash!