Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-7 continually focusing

profile.country.en_GB.title
bezier1955
Explorer

NEX-7 continually focusing

Hi everyone,

Newbie here with my first post/question.

I just got the NEX 7 and I find the camera will autofocus, even without pressing the shutter halfway, so as I move the camera around, it is constantly refocusing. It does of course lock focus once I do half press the shutter, but the instruction manual says the camera will focus on a half press, but mine does it all the time.

This happens regardless of shooting mode e.g. iAuto, PASM etc and regardless of autofocus area (Multi, flexible spot or centre) and regardless of autofocus mode (AF or DMF). The only time it won't focus is in MF mode of course!

All other cameras I've had don't focus until you half press the shutter, so this confuses me. I guess it'll drain the battery quicker too.

Bezier

Message was edited by: bezier1955

Message was edited by: bezier1955

2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello bezier1955 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

This is a feature of the NEX-7 which has been added to ensure that it is a lot easier to get the perfect shot and as you correctly point out, this will have an adverse effect on the battery life of the camera.

Aside from permanently putting it into manual focus mode, the only thing I can advise is to use the power save function to make the camera turn off after one minute (shorter/longer options are available). This will at least ensure that the camera isn't endlessly focusing whilst it is switched on but not in use. This option can be located by MENU --> [Setup] --> [Power Save].

Thanks,

Simon

bezier1955
Explorer

Thanks for the info Simon,

As the NEX7 uses contrast based autofocus, I suspect the feature is used to minimise focusing delays. I guess the best workaraound is as you say, put the camera into MF but then use the AF/MF button to focus, but I do also take your point re. shortening the power save period.

Many thanks

Steve