Join now - be part of our community!

PMB ProBleMs

SOLVED
profile.country.fi_FI.title
Reneval
Visitor

PMB ProBleMs

Hello all,

Just registered to ask this: why does PMB change the resolution of the photos from original 350ppi to 72ppi if I save my changes (any changes, like just small adjustments)? Is there any way around it so that it wouldn't change the resolution?

And is it recommended to update PMB to the newest version (Ver.5.6.02.) because it seems it has more deleted features than new ones? I'm using Ver. 5.2.)
Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi Reneval, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I'm not sure of the reason for the PMB default being 72dpi (other than convention, related to point sizes in font-mapping on early desktop computers IIRC) but there's no reason to be concerned, as the resolution of the image doesn't actually change in PMB.

The dot pitch (in ppi or dpi) is only an issue when you go to make a hard copy of an image, effectively a by-product of the size you want to print at. In PMB, as with all image editing software, your 3872 x 2592 image stays at those dimensions whether it's saved at 72ppi or at 350ppi unless you resize it for output - printing or emailing, for example.

Apologies if this isn't what you're concerned about, it's a perennial question and it does cause a lot of confusion. Please do elaborate if I'm iff the mark and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi Reneval, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I'm not sure of the reason for the PMB default being 72dpi (other than convention, related to point sizes in font-mapping on early desktop computers IIRC) but there's no reason to be concerned, as the resolution of the image doesn't actually change in PMB.

The dot pitch (in ppi or dpi) is only an issue when you go to make a hard copy of an image, effectively a by-product of the size you want to print at. In PMB, as with all image editing software, your 3872 x 2592 image stays at those dimensions whether it's saved at 72ppi or at 350ppi unless you resize it for output - printing or emailing, for example.

Apologies if this isn't what you're concerned about, it's a perennial question and it does cause a lot of confusion. Please do elaborate if I'm iff the mark and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers

Mick