Join now - be part of our community!

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

SOLVED
profile.country.fi_FI.title
Nannu72
Visitor

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

Just got a Sony A350 and trying to get the photos from it onto my computer. When I connect it I get the error message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I'm using Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacBook 1,1 2 GHz Intel Core Duo. Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nannu72
Visitor

After posting my question in a few places I finally figured out it was the USB connection setting on the cam...

Mass storage didn't work...had to go to PTP instead....after that I was able to get them using Image Capture :slight_smile:

iPhoto would only import some of the photos despite them all being in RAW format.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What software are you using on your MacBook to import the photos?

Have you tried to import from within iPhoto?

:thinking:

Nannu72
Visitor

After posting my question in a few places I finally figured out it was the USB connection setting on the cam...

Mass storage didn't work...had to go to PTP instead....after that I was able to get them using Image Capture :slight_smile:

iPhoto would only import some of the photos despite them all being in RAW format.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

There have been issues using Macs with some Sony cameras in the past, often worked around by using a card reader instead of plugging the camera in directly. A card reader should mount as a drive in the Finder and show all of your images without any problems.

Another frequently debated topic is the suitability of iPhoto for raw processing... iPhoto may be designed to handle raw files but it's a long way from being the best tool for the job.

If you're keen to get the best out of your raw files I'd recommend looking at some dedicated processors. There are plenty around but the best of them is probably Adobe Lightroom, followed by Apple's Aperture.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Just to add something to the already excellent reponses on here, Mick's idea of using a USB card reader is something that can save a huge amount of hassle for a relatively small amount of money :slight_smile:

http://www.ebuyer.com/180306-plexus-single-slot-usb2-0-card-reader-compatible-with-sd-sdhc-mmc-sp-cr...

With readers like this one retailing at less than £1.00 in the UK, this seems to be the method of choice for transferring photos for any system - Macs included. I have a habit of losing these but at this price I don't get into too much trouble for it with the powers that be! :dizzy:

Simon