Join now - be part of our community!

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Sony/Minolta

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Skighpilot
Explorer

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Sony/Minolta

Hi all,

I have bought this lens online for my A700 DSLR. On receipt I found it said on the box "compatible with A65 and A77" but this was not stated on the seller's web page. The lens fits my camera but will not focus either automatically or manually. I believe this is a compatibility issue, rather than a faulty lens.

I have previously bought other lenses eg Tamron without problems and thought the only question was whether it was suitable for a Sony Alpha mount. Indeed I have lenses that work without problem on my old Minolta 35mm camera.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Skighpilot
Explorer

It sure is. What's more, the replacement has just arrived and seems fine. I cannot fault Onestop Digital, it is not their fault the first lens was faulty. Their service has been impeccable and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Skighpilot

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Skighpilot

I have heard of some Sigma lens owners who have had issues when using them with Alpha cameras. If possible, first of all I would try and visit a camera store to try an identical lens to elimate the possibility of a lens fault. If the same issue occurs with another Sigma lens, then you may need to contact Sigma for further assistance relating to compatibility / the chip used within the lens.

The last publically available firmware update for the A700 was some years ago now:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DSLR-A700/downloads/A700_V4_WIN

So I am assuming that your A700 is up to date (it is always worth a look).

Hopefully, if there are any other Sigma lens users who have experienced the same issue, they may have some insight here. At the end of the day, if you feel that the original web site has mis-informed you regarding the compatibility of the product, I would strongly advise you to take it up with them. Do you have the original link to the product / site where it was purchased from so I can take a look?

Thanks,

Simon

Skighpilot
Explorer

Hello Simon,

Thanks very much for your response. I've already taken the matter up with the supplier and asked them to confirm whether the lens should be compatible with the A700. I've also asked the same question at Sigma's Support Department. This being the Easter weekend, I won't get an answer until Tuesday. I do have a link to the seller's website but would prefer to wait for their response before passing it on to you.

I will check to make sure that all the software and firmware is up to date, thanks for suggesting it.

Have a great weekend, I'll let you know what happens.

Skighpilot

PS I've now checked and I'm still on Version 2!! I've tried to install V4 but the confirmation window does not appear. I have Win 7 Home premium 64bit and I note 64bit is not supported. Presumably I'll have to get access to a 32bit OS to update?

Message was edited by: Skighpilot

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Yes I would definitely try and perform the update on a 32 bit machine. If you right click on the file to run it in Win 7 you may be able to run it in compatibility mode for previous versions of Windows but that can be a bit 'hit and miss'.

If you don't get any joy with Sigma then feel free to post the link.

Thanks,

Simon

Skighpilot
Explorer

Hi Simon,

I have now successfully updated the firmware to version 4. It has made no difference to the lens. What I don't understand is that, when I change the lens setting to manual and turn the focussing ring, the image in the viewfinder does not change, but remains out of focus. Next step is to reset the camera to default settings.

Skighpilot.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Hopefully it won't take Sigma too long to get back to you after the Easter break with any further suggestions for your lens and camera. Did resetting to the default settings help at all?

Simon

Skighpilot
Explorer

Hi Simon,

No, unfortunately resetting to default made no difference. I hope to hear from both the seller and Sigma tomorrow.

Skighpilot

gimp69
Visitor

It's a faulty lens I reckon.  The A65/77 sticker suggests that you have a newly manufactured lens too.

There are no issues on the A700 with any Sigma lens I have, even an ancient 24mm f2.8 works.

Skighpilot
Explorer

Hi gimp69,

Thanks for your input.

Skighpilot

Skighpilot
Explorer

I have now had a reply from Onestop Digital and I quote:

"We contacted Sigma Japan, and they said you would need to upgrade the  firmware of your Sony A700 to the latest version and this will  definitely solve the problem you are having."

I have replied saying that I have updated the firmware and reset to default and it has made no difference. This seems to suggest that compatibility is not the problem. I have said I now believe the lens to be faulty and asked that they arrange for it to be collected for refund or replacement. Will let you know the outcome.

Skighpilot