Join now - be part of our community!

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Sony/Minolta

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Skighpilot
Explorer

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Sony/Minolta

Hi all,

I have bought this lens online for my A700 DSLR. On receipt I found it said on the box "compatible with A65 and A77" but this was not stated on the seller's web page. The lens fits my camera but will not focus either automatically or manually. I believe this is a compatibility issue, rather than a faulty lens.

I have previously bought other lenses eg Tamron without problems and thought the only question was whether it was suitable for a Sony Alpha mount. Indeed I have lenses that work without problem on my old Minolta 35mm camera.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Tags (3)
20 REPLIES 20
Skighpilot
Explorer

I have now had a reply from Sigma UK as follows:

"The lens should fully function on the A700.  There are no compatibility issues.  I suggest you return this to the retailer."

Onestop Digital have also sent me instructions for returning the lens at their expense. I have to say their sevice and response to the problem so far have been exemplary. My only dilemma now is whether to ask for a refund or replacement. I do really like the lens and have not seen it cheaper elsewhere. Just a little bit wary in case I get another duff one.

Skighpilot

gimp69
Visitor

I'd replace it.  OSD are pretty good.

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Have you tried the Sigma 85mm lens on another camera? Do you own other SSM/HSM/SAM lenses which work on the A700.

I am asking because there is also the possibility that something is not OK with the camera. The HSM lens is powered by the camera and sometimes there is a defect in the power supply from the camera

Skighpilot
Explorer

I understand that, but would that prevent the lens from focussing manually? I do plan to take the lens to the Sony Centre of Excellence on Monday to check it on other cameras. Whether they'll have an A700 is debateable, but it should prove whether the lens does function correctly.

Skighpilot
Explorer

To answer the first part of your question, I have a number of other autofocus and zoom lenses powered by the camera that work perfectly. Even an old Minolta AF lens is fine.

Skighpilot
Explorer

Just to complete the circle, cmosse, I took the lens to Merchant City Cameras in Glasgow. He said that, if the lens wouldn't focus manually, it is definitely a lens problem and no point in him looking at it. I then took it to the Sony Centre, where they were only too happy to let me try it on an A65. It did not work. I am now waiting for Fedex to collect the lens for return to OSD.

BTW I had a little play with the A65 and was not impressed with the electronic viewfinder (the A700 has an optical one). Apparently most modern DSLRs have electronic viewfinders these days. Any thoughts?

Skighpilot

gimp69
Visitor

The A65/77 EVF is far superior to the A700.  I have both.

Skighpilot
Explorer

Thanks for that, will keep in mind. Onestop Digital have received the returned lens and despatched a replacement today. Fingers crossed...

Skighpilot

gimp69
Visitor

That's good service.

Skighpilot
Explorer

It sure is. What's more, the replacement has just arrived and seems fine. I cannot fault Onestop Digital, it is not their fault the first lens was faulty. Their service has been impeccable and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Skighpilot