Join now - be part of our community!

Simple Guide for a Alpha 350

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rodwillis
New

Simple Guide for a Alpha 350

I have just bought an Alpha 350 as a first step into DSLR photography, however as a beginner I am finding the layout incomprehensible, for example there is no explanation how to simply alter the shutter speed, the manual is next to useless and a book written especially for this camera by David Busch is not much better....can anyone help me or I will have to sell and get another camera and I really dont want to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Rod

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Rod, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It can be pretty daunting at first, mostly due to too many choices. The best way is to use the camera in one of the Program modes until you get the hang of the basic non-auto settings. The Busch books are excellent but don't really narrow those choices down..

As a first foray into manual control, try switching the Mode dial on the top of the camera to either 'A', which will let you select an aperture value such as f5.6 or f8 and the camera selects the shutter speed to give a correct exposure, or 'S', which is the same idea, except you pick the shutter speed.

You select the shutter or aperture value by turning the Control dial which is just below the shutter release button, while looking through the viewfinder.

I'd be happy to help you with any questions you might have beyond this, just shout up :cool:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mick2011
New

Hi Rod, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It can be pretty daunting at first, mostly due to too many choices. The best way is to use the camera in one of the Program modes until you get the hang of the basic non-auto settings. The Busch books are excellent but don't really narrow those choices down..

As a first foray into manual control, try switching the Mode dial on the top of the camera to either 'A', which will let you select an aperture value such as f5.6 or f8 and the camera selects the shutter speed to give a correct exposure, or 'S', which is the same idea, except you pick the shutter speed.

You select the shutter or aperture value by turning the Control dial which is just below the shutter release button, while looking through the viewfinder.

I'd be happy to help you with any questions you might have beyond this, just shout up :cool:

Cheers

Mick