Join now - be part of our community!

Sony alpha 55 eyecup

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
bcsmith
New

Sony alpha 55 eyecup

The eyecup on this otherwise excellent camera seems designed to pop off at the slightest provocation: e.g. whenever the camera is returned to its padded cell in my back pack. I have just had to order a replacement (arounf £15 including postage but not easy to locate anyone with stock).

Any suggestions please?

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Brian,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

As far as I am aware the part number for the Replacement Eyecup for your A55 is X25144421.

You should be able to order this from either your local Sony Centre or alternatively you may be able to order the part from Sony's dedicated spare parts provider Nedis..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Brian,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

As far as I am aware the part number for the Replacement Eyecup for your A55 is X25144421.

You should be able to order this from either your local Sony Centre or alternatively you may be able to order the part from Sony's dedicated spare parts provider Nedis..

profile.country.GB.title
bcsmith
New

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for the suggestions. I had not come across Nedis, but unfortunately find that they have no stock. Unfortunately the only retailer I found online who appeared to be offering the item now tell me that they have no stock too. Will try the local Sony shop however.

I was hoping too for any suggestions as to how to stop the eyecup coming off so easily: it will get expensive to keep having to replace them.

Cheers,

Brian

profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

This used to happen with a Canon 5D, 1D the lot when I stored them in a camera bag at the top where the cup kept brushing against the zip.

The best solution I found without having to resort to any kind of tape was to store it face down instead and it saved me buying cups on a monthly basis. Only other way I stopped was in honesty, tape.

These are generally pretty secure once on but I know how easy it can be for them to slide off. Its happened to me with a few brands and still found no actual way of stopping it from happening. Its going to continue since you need access to the dial or when using corrective eye pieces.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Brian,

There is a new number (419221502) for the eye cup & stock should be available early May..:smileywink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
grebmrof
Visitor

The Sony part number 419221502 is the correct part number, however, the A55 eyecup can be ordered through Amazon under part number FDA-EP8AM.  I ordered a couple of them and they arrived in Sony packaging and the cup fits my A55 perfectly with an audible click when slid on to the camera eyepiece.  When I had contacted Sony (U.S.) they quoted a price of $43 US, this FDA-EP8AM part was $10 US through Amazon.  I know the postage/freight cost from Amazon might be prohibitive, however, this part number should be available locally in the UK somewhere, no?