Join now - be part of our community!

Xavc s video format with A6300

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

Xavc s video format with A6300

I read somewhere that my A6300will not allow XAVC S format unless I buy a new Card  over 64 GB. Is this true. Also, is this format worth using for a good quality , problem free video? thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @iprior,

that is only partially true - it depends more on the writespeed of the card and how long a card can maintain a high writespeed.

If you choose to only record XAVC-S HD you may get away with a 16 or 32GB SDHC-card with a "class 10" speed, yet if you want to record in 4K at 60Mbit/s or 100Mbit/s bitrate (which equals 7.5 and 12.5MB/s), your card need to be faster.

I recommend to go for a SDXC-card with at least 64GB (128GB is better since you can fit more videos on it) and the card should be rated by the new speed-standard for video, which is printed on the card in the format "V" followed by a number (e.g. 30).

I recommend to use a card which is rated "V30".

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

Thanks Nic,

I'm a bit annoyed with J Lewis. I bought the camera then added the card. They should have pointed the limitations of the card out to me. Still, the various vid formats seem to work ok...I think! I noticed a bit of jumping when I first tried them out. Looking for the best option. No expert as you will have gathered. My card is a san disk extreme 32GB..90Mb/ sec...V30...also has a 3 inside of "U" shape....and a smal number 10 inside a circle. Any vid help appreciated .  thanks Ian.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @iprior,

if the camera lets you record in the highest quality (XAVC-S 4K 100Mbit/s), it is fine as well.

The reason I recommended SDXC cards only for XAVC-S 4K recordings is, that most cameras on the factory firmware don't allow recordings in this mode on a SDHC card (later firmware releases fix this).

I maybe should have clarified that during my last reply.

With a SDXC card you are always on the safe side, no matter which firmware your camera is running.

Don't be mislead by jumpy or laggy playback on your PC/MAC though, since different players can cope with the XAVC-S codec better or worse as well as playback quality is dependend on your computers hardware.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

Thanks again Nic...just found my card wrapper. It's an..SDHC     UHS-I card.As you say , if it works...... I'll try it out later. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @iprior,

the camera won't allow recording if the card isn't up to the job. :wink:

Yet UHS-I sounds fast enough (even though this is the old speed rating, which is not specific aimed at video shooting like the new "V-rating")

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

Hi I notice that the a6300 has numerous pro type post processing options. I only have power director 7 and a couple of older progs to deal with videos. I presume that I will need something more up to date in order to play around with these options?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @iprior,

would you mind to elaborate what post processing options you are referring to?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
iprior
Explorer

Hi,

just looking at all the option menus. Picture profile settings. Keen to experiment and see what happens.   thanks.

ps..I believe that the super slow motion is not straight forward to achieve unless I buy an app / and change regional settings!!