Join now - be part of our community!

Zoom lens for Nex 5

profile.country.en_GB.title
jonpaget
Visitor

Zoom lens for Nex 5

I'm looking at buying a zoom lens for my Nex 5 and have been looking at the Sigma 18-200mm lens. However, there seems to be a huge amount of talk regarding new lenses that might be coming to the market.

The Sony 18-200 is expensive at around £700 and the reviews don't suggest it's worth the money. I'm left unsure as to the best option.

Also, I know I will need a mount to be able to use other lenses (alpha lenses, Sigma or otherwise). Can anyone recommend which one to go for? What I've read about the Sony mount (£150) or so is not very positive.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Tags (6)
4 REPLIES 4
stevenrdowns
Visitor

Hello there.

I have an NEX-3, and I have bought this lens -> http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/data/digital/a15.html

I got it off Ebay for around £60, and had to pay an additional £25 with a separate supplier for an NEX - EOS mount.

For the money, it's not a terrible set up. I've no ability to autofocus, which I guess is standard...but I have had some pleasing results.

Sharp manual focus is tricky to achieve from the standard live view, so I have to use the "MF assist" function to magnify the live view image upto x14, before taking the shot. Tripod or steady surface is essential really.

I'm a total amateur, and is my first "proper camera" so I have no intention of spending £700 on the Sony 55-200mm. Because of this I accept I will encounter much less functionality...so overall, i'm happy.

Notably, I have also read that with the £150 LE-EA1 mount...you still do not have autofocus with third party lenses.

Overall, if you've got the time and patience to compose a shot then this set up is fine. It's is obviously rubbish however for fast moving stuff.

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Very subjective to be honest. I have had my NEX-5+18-55 since launch and got my hands on the NEX-VG10E a while back with the 18-200 which I thought worked just as good as the 18-55 so had no problems with CA, barrel distorsion or softness but the only thing that threw me off was the size of the lens vs body.

The mount adaptor is good and love using it with the SAL85F28 and not had any problems. Only downside, focus is slower than the E-mount NEX lenses. Before writing it off, try one out for yourself and judge it. Reviews are great to give you an idea but not really anywhere near biblical no matter what.

Only problem with third party lenses, manual focus and possibly even manual aperture adjustments need to be made. If you really NEED a longer lens now, I would recommend looking at the Alpha lens range and the lenses that are compatible with the mount adaptor. Other than that, Tamron and I think Sigma also have announced that they will be starting production on NEX compatible lenses shortly. As for the rumours on new lenses, no information on what they are, prices and even release dates so I cannot see that happening anytime soon.

Not really a solid answer to your question but hope it gives you some insight.

jogarve92
New

Don't believe that Sony are playing very fair with those of us who have invested in a NEX. 18-200mm is virtually unavailable in the UK and costs a BOMB!!! US$ equivalent is £485 on Amazon.com. Lots of promises about more lenses in the range. Can't take pictures with promises :slight_frown:

jonpaget
Visitor

Yes I agree - I think Sony are being unfair expecting everyone who owns a Nex to spend £700 on a zoom lens, especially given that 3rd party lenses don't come with AF as someone else has commented!