Join now - be part of our community!

HDR-CX105 Handycam Touchscreen (only) is non-responsive

profile.country.GB.title
rjsdavis
Explorer

HDR-CX105 Handycam Touchscreen (only) is non-responsive

I know that this is a fairly common problem with handycam's. Ours is playing up, and it's full of footage which I'm confident I managed to offload and back-up before the screen stopped responding completely, but I'm in that place where you cannot press any of the icons on the screen and delete anything. 

So - the touchscreen buttons along the side of the screen all work fine. All of the buttons and functions on the main cabinet also all work fine. The only problem with it is the touchscreen itself, which had become tempremental over a period of time (this means that it became harder and harder to get a response from any of the screen buttons - so that you had to rub them quite hard with your finger to sort of "catch it just right" to eventually get the button to operate) (please note that although pressure was applied - it had to be to eventually get a reaction from the screen buttons!) the screen is now completely non-responsive. 

I've watched the YouTube video that pulls apart a CX105, and have seen others that indicate ill-seated ribbons at the back of the touchscreen could be to blame... I downloaded the service manual for this camera and started with easing out the two screws from the side of the touchscreen and prising off the rear cover. I undid and reseated all of the ribbons (4 iirc - including the main one between touchscreen and cabinet) and pushed the casing back together. I popped in the battery to test it before doing it all up properly, and I was in exactly the same position - the screen shows the picture fine. The hard buttons still worked fine. The touchscreen buttons were completely non-responsive. I had confidence that the ribbons were all in place as they should be, otherwise the screen display wouldn't work and nor would the hard buttons. 

Then I watched the YouTube video (finding that this guy really didn't know what he was doing at all!), but between this and the service manual, removed all of the screws and removed the major cabinet casing elements. I eventually tracked down the ribbon end from the touchscreen, which wiggles and folds behind the hinge of the touchscreen, and thickens into one of the two fat ribbon connectors on the very top of the main camera. Both of these ribbons were checked, removed and then reseated. I didn't fiddled with anything else - as I was at my amateur limit and then put the cabinet casing back together again. No screws left over unlike the tool in the YouTube video! 

Powered it all up - and once again, was in the exact same position. So, now I'm confused... I don't think it's a ribbon seating issue - given that the touchscreen itself simply doesn't respond to touch, could it be that the touchscreen itself is what's at fault? I've also tried pressing/touching the buttons with my Vaio touchscreen VGP-STD2 digitizer/stylus. This didn't get a reaction from the touchscreen either! 

So - I'm out of ideas... if someone from the Sony company posts a response, can you please not just say "send it in for service - can you please suggest something that will help to diagnose the issue please?

Oh - I also reset the camera using the hard reset button. That didn't make any difference either!  

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rjsdavis
Explorer

Thank you very much for the reply.

I've had a quick look at the video, and I've suspected for a while that a
ribbon was the cause of the problem. I can see that the video you're working
on is a good deal smaller than the CX-105E camera that we have, and whilst I
accept that the principles are the same - do you know how I can track down
which is the correct ribbon for our particular camera? It's clearly not
going to be the same as the one you're using for the camera you're working
on?

Many thanks for replying to this thread.