Join now - be part of our community!

HDR-CX360VE and error E:91:01

profile.country.en_GB.title
Jan100.
Visitor

HDR-CX360VE and error E:91:01

I have a camcorder HDR-CX360VE, on the first time of trying to use the flash this error code E:91:01 appeared. The flash did not work, it just made the battery charge light flash but the error code has flashed ever since. The camcorder is out of warranty by about 6 months. As the flash is not always required, I had never used the flash within the warranty time. I have now found out from a worthy source that this is a manufacturing fault and to put it right will cost in excess of £120 plus any carriage costs. As this is a manufacturing fault surly this should be paid for by Sony?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Mick2011
New

Hi Jan100, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It would be covered for that sort of defect while it was under guarantee. They would most likely say there was no way of knowing wherther the fault developed after the warranty period expired.

Sorry :slight_frown:

Cheers

Mick

Jan100.
Visitor

Thanks for that Mick2011. I understand what you are saying, but as this is KNOWN as a manufacturing fault, surly this should be dealt with as a recall by Sony? If this was a car it would be called back and put right whether it is out of warranty or not! This was one of the main reasons I bought this particular camera and paid more for it to get it. The events I had coming up, I knew I would need the flash but now to get it to work it appears I need to pay an extra £125 + to get it to work.

Jan

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Jan :slight_smile:

I agree with Mick that it may be difficult to prove the exact point at which the fault occurred. The only thing that I can suggest is contacting Sony Customer Service to try and find out the exact repair costs. You can also make your case to them if you genuinely feel that it is a manufacturing defect - however I cannot guarantee that you will have any success with this route.

The details are on the following page:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/dime

Thanks,

Simon

Jan100.
Visitor

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. I did ring Sony first and they could not seem to give me any price or suggest what was wrong until they had seen the camera, but I also rang an authorised Sony dealer and repairer, and it was him that recognised the error code straight away and told me it was a manufacturing fault and quoted the card it needed placed inside the camcorder to put it right, he also gave me the cost as quoted above in my first post. It appears he had had a few in with that fault.

Jan

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again Jan :slight_smile:

Have you considered perhaps emailing or writing to Sony with this information about the code? You could also try calling customer services at Sony back with the new information that you have obtained from the dealer - they may be willing to inspect the camera before charging a fee. I cannot guarantee that this will happen as it is entirely at the discretion of Sony Customer Services.

Thanks,

Simon

Jan100.
Visitor

Hi Simon

Thanks for your advice. I did ring Sony Customer Service again and although the person was very helpful, he said the fault is not listed with them and therefore it was a chargeable repair. I know one thing for sure I will not be buying Sony again or recommending them.

Jan

-Finn-
Explorer

Thank you for posting on the Sony Forum.

In an effort to give a quick and correct answer to your question, one of the forums experts has escalated your post to our Technical Support team, who will provide them with the information required as quickly as possible.

You can expect one of the forum experts to get back to you with the answer very soon.

Best regards

The Sony Team

corneliusrodes
Visitor

I bought my HDR CX360VE at the end of August 2011. It was taken on 2 Egypt holidays, one in Sept 2011 and one in March 2012. It behaved flawlessly. It has also had light use at home indoors. For the past 6 months or so it has been put away in its camera bag. The other day 21st April 2013 I got my camera out and put it on charge. When I came to use the camera today 22nd April 2013 I had the same flashing message as described above appear on the screen. I also had another message appear on the screen just prior to that saying something about the flash unit not charging. I don't have a flash unit and have never tried fitting one.

I rang customer support which unfortunately was a complete wast of time as they couldn't tell me what the fault code means. I tried a reset on the camera but the fault code persists. I have always bought Sony products with confidence in the past and considering the minimal use my camera has had I am a little dismayed that I am being asked to pay for a fault that appears from the above comments to be a recognised manufacturer defect (something which Sony Dealers seem to be aware of but something Sony PLC fail to acknowledge).

Ballyrotter
Explorer

I have the same flashing "E:91:01" error code on my CX360VE camcorder bought in July 2011, with the occasional warning "flash cannot charge - not available". What flash is there to charge?!

Everything appears to be functioning, including the light, but the constantly flashing message is maddening!

I have spoken to customer services, I have taken the battery out and pressed the reset button but the code still comes up.

What is really bad is that Customer Services say that this fault is NOT known and so I need to pay to get it fixed. I have registered it with Sony Repair Centre and this will cost £180! Despite wanting to discuss why I felt this was bad service, the operative kept repeating the script about it being out of warranty.

To add fuel to the fire, this has happened in the same week as my HDD recorder developing a software fault along with thousands of others.

My family and I have been loyal Sony customers since the 1960's and I don't have any other brand in my house.

If this is not sorted out at Sony's expense then I will never buy Sony again or recommend them.

To a Sony Forum expert - please help me with this, I really think that Sony is wrong by not acknowledging this problem as one for them to sort out. Sony dealers appear to acknowledge it but HQ doesn't.

That's bad service.

Many thanks