Join now - be part of our community!

Reasons for why DCR SR57 Stopped recording after 4 hours

profile.country.en_GB.title
dacoone
Visitor

Reasons for why DCR SR57 Stopped recording after 4 hours

Hi there,

I would like to know the possible reasons for why the DCR SR57 would stopped recording when left to record for an extended period of time.

I know for sure it was not the battery I was using the FH100 long life battery which I have tested and will happily record for 10hours plus when the LCD screen is shut off. The battery levels were all still good and the cameras were still on, they had just stopped recording.

My setup was using 30 cameras of various models to capture an evacuation of a theatre. Of the various models I have 6 DCR SR57's these happen to be set up all in roughly the same proximity and three of them all stopped recording after about 4 hours, two of them that were set up in mirrored locations either side of the stage facing the audience...(rough estimate based on footage recorded and using windows data when selecting files) the other one was set up above an exit well away from the stage and only looking down on a small area with a wide angle lens fitted, all three were set to HQ mode and stereo sound (NOT 5.1). The other 24 cameras (some much older models with only 30GB hard drive size) recorded for the required 5 hours I needed without fault.

The cameras were mounted with clamps, arms and plates and were secure and steady.

I have viewed the footage up to the last frame and there was no obvious reason for why they would stop.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused them to just stop, they were still on when I came back to them, they had just stopped recording and why only three of the 6 and all just this model? There was a camera of the same model either in a mirrored location of within 1 foot of the ones that failed that did record without problem.

Finally I have checked one of them through Windows to scan for bad sectors etc but it reported no errors. I am currently running a test to see if they will do it again.

I am interested in finding out what can cause this to happen so I can avoid those conditions in future when placing this model. It was rather dissapointing to lose these views but in general these cameras (all from SONY, DCR 57, 52, 75 and a 190) have worked flawlessly up till now.

The lighting level was low with some bright lights in view but not pointing directly at the cameras and the one above the exit was looking at the floor. See attached snapshots of the last recorded frame.

Any ideas are much appreciate to help solve this mystery

Kind regards,

David

If I could change my user name I would...autogenerated epic fail
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello and welcome to the Sony Forums

I wouldn't worry too much about it being a fault - I think that the issue may be linked with a built-in recording limit on this model. I am unsure about the reasoning behind having a four hour limit (some cameras use this to prevent overheating) - but if it has happened at roughly the same point on all three cameras, there is a high possibility that this is the case.

Thanks,

Simon