Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DCR-DVD201E / Image Mixer / Vaio Ultrabook

profile.country.en_GB.title
mlws1971
Visitor

Sony DCR-DVD201E / Image Mixer / Vaio Ultrabook

I have an old but working DCR-DVD201E. I have tried to connect it to my new Vaio UltraBook but it does not recognise the files on the camera. No surprise here as compatability is limited.

With no DVD drive on the UltraBook how can I twin the camera with the UltraBook and start editing the files into mpegs? Ideally I'd like to use an alternative editing package.

Thanks. Martyn

7 REPLIES 7
Mick2011
New

Hi Martyn, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

To save time second-guessing ways of linking up an old camera with a new OS, I'd suggest you invest in an external DVD drive. They're cheap enough and most tray-loaders accept mini-DVD disks.

For editing, the world's your oyster :cool: Have a look at free apps, such as Windows Movie Maker, before juming in with paid ones. You can use pretty much anything.

Cheers

Mick

mlws1971
Visitor

Thanks Mick2011. I've tried to use other editing suites before now but none seem able to import the files from the DVD camera. And that includes the media software bundled on the Vaio.

I can access the files using a USB cable directly from the camera to the Ultrabook, so that's not an issue. The absence of a CD tray just means I can;t access the CD of Image Mixer 1.5 that came with the camera.

Any ideas if Image Mixer is my only option? I'd rather it wasn't - its not great. And if it is where can I buy/get it from?

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello mlws :slight_smile:

I agree with Mick about Windows Movie Maker - it is one of the best free options available and you can always get hold of the latest version from the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started

Provided that you can get the video files transferred to your hard drive, Windows Movie Maker should be able to recognise them and import them. This software may even work directly with the camera and read them straight from the DVD - you will need to experiment a little with this. I can also thoroughly recommend an external USB DVD drive as this has been a great investment for my Ultrabook for the odd occasion where a DVD drive has been required.

Thanks,

Simon

mlws1971
Visitor

Thanks again. I've downloaded MovieMaker. I have tried to use it before on another PC but have found that it didn't recognise the files that the video camera produces. This is the crucial issue I find with the camera - I can't find anything other than Image Mixer that can work with the files even though common sense, and other people, have said that the files should be standard formats.

One thing I may try it finalising the disc rather than trying to access the files via a cable from the camera to the PC. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Mick2011
New

That might be the best course of action, yes.

It sounds as if there may be some file incompatibility as regards non-finalised movies. Certainly the Sony site lists the camera as being incompatible with Windows 7: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DCR-DVD201E/compatibility

Cheers

Mick

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Yes I agree with Mick here :slight_smile:

In theory, a finalised disc should be readable by any device with a DVD drive. This would mean that you could then insert the DVD into a computer/laptop and import the files directly into a variety of video editing packages. This would also eliminate the need to use the camera itself, bypassing other potential compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Simon

mlws1971
Visitor

Hello all. Here's the latest: I bought an external DVD/CD writer/player to marry to the Vaio UltraBook. I have also finalised a disc on the Sony Handycam and then tried to import the files using MovieMaker - with no success. MovieMaker doesn't recognise the files types. The files listed on the finalised DVD are:

VR_Mngr.BUP 32KB

VR_Mngr.IFO 32KB

VR_MOVIE 1,291,904KB (evidentally this is the footage I need to access)

I've tried using various free file converters to change the VRO file to something I can import and I have had success in the first scene on the disc being imported and changed to an alternative file type - but nothing else on the disc was coverted. The VRO is now appearing as a VR Movie icon. I'd happily buy a file conversion programme if I thought it would work. I don't have faith than they will though.

I have no idea what to do. Nothing seems to work. Why does Sony use a file format that doesn't work with any other editing package on the market and, to compound matters, not offer me an alternative editing suite that I can buy to use with these file types?

Help!!!!