Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HDR-CX240 x54 Clear Image Zoom

profile.country.GB.title
dav808
New

Sony HDR-CX240 x54 Clear Image Zoom

Hello.

Just joined the forum to try and find out detailed information about the "Clear Image x54 zoom" on my newly purchased Sony HDR-CX240E.

I've searched the net and have not found detailed info, read the poor documentation and online help manual  (they don't even tell you what all the camera's onscreen icons mean), nothing of relevance.

In brief (all tests done while recording movies):

Test 1. Digital zoom - OFF, Steadyshot - ACTIVE (screen says clear image is off) zoom to max, looks fine.

Test 2. Digital zoom - OFF, Steadyshot - STANDARD (screen says clear image is on) zoom to max, exact same as above.

Test 3. Digital zoom - ON, Steadyshot - STANDARD, Now the digital zoom works you get the display top right with the white line in the middle. When zoomed up to centre line, looks the same as tests 1 & 2. Then beyond the digital zoom obviously kicks in. (Thats one example of no mention in the documents the fact that the lcd zoom onscreen bar changes)

So, where is the Clear Image x54 zoom, if tests 1 & 2 look exactly the same and in test 2  the screen says it is on (in the steadyshot menu)?

Does it only work when digital zoom is on and it is used up to the first x54 part of the digital zoom out of the x320 digital zoom?

I was under the impression that it would, (with the digital x320 zoom turned off) allow the x27 optical zoom to be digitally enhanced up to x54 times, clearly thats not the case. Essentially like a more advance digital zoom.

Any detailed information about this would be appreciated. Expecially when you see demonstrations of other Sony camcorders that have Clear Image zoom and it does indeed look as though you get three zooms, optical, clear image then the digital zoom.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi Dav,

Welcome to the Community.

To answer your question - 'Clear Image zoom' only works when "SteadyShot" is set to either "Standard" or "Off". It is also worth noting that the Digital Zoom ratio includeds the Optical Zoom ratio.

We hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
dav808
New

Thanks for the reply.

I know about those options as I mentioned in my tests above. Point is I don't see a x54 zoom without using the x320 digital zoom.

With the digital zoom off and all zoom options tested when steadyshot is set to either Active or Off look exactly the same, there ain't no x54 zoom that I see.

I've seen plenty example on the net of clear image zoom in other sony products where you see the optical zoom, then with clear image zoom on it does go further, then there's the extra digital zoom on top.

I'm under the assumption the camera has a x27 optical zoom as standard. Turn on clear image zoom (steadyshot at standard or off) as it states with the print on the camera it goes up to x54.

I only see an increase in zoom when the digital zoom is turned on. I think the first part of the x320 zoom, the x54 part may be the clear mage zoom.

It's easier to find the ark of the covenant than detailed information about the way this zoom actually works.

Hi,

I found your thread when I was searching online for an answer to exactly the same issue!    We bought the HDR-CX240 last year, and, like yourself, we've searched high and low to try and find a definitive answer to the 54 x Clear Image Zoom question, but with no luck.   We did the same three tests that you described, and the results were exactly the same as yours.   Did you ever manage to get to the bottom of this 54 x Clear Image Zoom puzzle?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Cath

profile.country.GB.title
dav808
New

Hi, thanks for the message.

And the answer is no!  Brexit is easier to work out!

I think it is to do with the digital zoom getting up to 320x. But of course no one can tell me and I don't have access to the R&D departments direct email to find out.

But it is a great camera and the digital zoom is very clean, for example a bright moon at night on a tripod is great.

Regards,

Dave