Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to connect to PMB

profile.country.en_GB.title
akela22
Visitor

Unable to connect to PMB

I have recently bought a DCRSR58E camcorder - I have installed PMB onto the computer, but when I attach the camcorder it doesnt launch PMC. I am running XP.. any suggestions would be appreciated as Sony helpline cannot help!

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi akela22,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Do you have the latest XP SP installed, should be SP3.?

Does the Handycam appear in My Computer as a Removable Disk.?

What version of PMB have you installed.?

To check your current version launch PMB.

Then click on Help followed by About Picture Motion Browser and you should see the version information

If it's not version 5.2 or above you may want to try installing this update:Picture Motion Browser (PMB) Ver.5.2 Software Update for Windows  NOTE: you will need to ensure you are running Windows XP SP3 before installing..:wink:

akela22
Visitor

Hi, thanks for your reply - I am running XP v3 and PMB5.3

I am unable to launch PMB - whenever I connect the device, it runs PMB initial settings but then will not progress into PMB.

The camcorder does show in My Computer and can be accessed.

Any thoughts?!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I am unable to launch PMB

Does PMB launch correctly when the device is not connected.?

akela22
Visitor

No, it always runs the setup screen then reverts to desktop 😞 

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling PMB again.?

akela22
Visitor

Yes, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling from disk and direct download but still not working! - always the same problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi akela22,

create a system restore point just to be on the safe side then try un-installing again and delete any PMB folders etc from C: Programs files.

Reboot and then try installing again..

If  still un-successfull in installing PMB please make a note of how far  the installation process has progressed and then it may be better to  contact Sony for further advice. Contact details can be found using the following link - DCR-SR58E support

Do you have the latest version of windows installer on your PC.?

To check the version of Windows installer on your PC go to Start then Run and then type msiexec.exe into the Run Box..

:thinking:

akela22
Visitor

Thanks for your help - I have tried these and spoke to the Sony 'Helpdesk' who told me that it must be my Codec settings and could offer me no further help.

Not convinced that the girl on the phone actually knew much about PMB, but if you think that it could be this, then any suggestions?!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Just had a thought, are you trying to install an update.?

If so did you have the original PMB on CD with your Handycam, if so is that installed on your PC.?

When you install PMB does the instalation complete, if not could you  explain as best you can exactly what happens during the instalation  process.?

Do you get any error messages.?

Are you logged in as as administrator when installing.?

Before running the instalation setup try closing any other applications that are running including those displayed in the system tray.?