Join now - be part of our community!

Batteries at sony DSC-W7

SOLVED
profile.country.el_GR.title
techlove
Visitor

Batteries at sony DSC-W7

Hi,

I have this camera and there is a problem with the batteries. The sony batteries the camera came with I replaced them couple years ago because I couldn't take more than 10 pictures. I bought some GP 2600mAh and charge them with the sony charge but didn't last a lot however the charger said they was. I bougth some other cheap from LIDL (I know... :P) 2500mAh but the camera can't even turn on. A cousin of mine used some of his batteries but he could only take some shots. What can I do??? What batteries will be as strong as the original sony??? Is my camera faulty?

Thanks,

Chris

Message was edited by: techlove

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi Chris :slight_smile:

You could try cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment. I have heard of people fixing this sort of problem with an alcohol-moistened cotton bud. Sometimes the contact on the compartment door becomes mis-aligned; make sure it's not bent down and if necessary, gently bend it back into position.

Battery life maybe isn't the real issue here. NiMH batteries do hold their charge a long time, but they don't really ever charge up to a full 1.5v – if you test yours with a multimeter, I'd like to bet they're less than that, possibly as low as 1.3v, even when fully charged. For things like flash units and accessories without moving parts, this is a trivial point, but cameras with retractable lenses need that little bit more voltage.

Try some alkaline or lithium non-rechargeables; they always have the full 1.5v and could well solve your problem.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi Chris :slight_smile:

You could try cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment. I have heard of people fixing this sort of problem with an alcohol-moistened cotton bud. Sometimes the contact on the compartment door becomes mis-aligned; make sure it's not bent down and if necessary, gently bend it back into position.

Battery life maybe isn't the real issue here. NiMH batteries do hold their charge a long time, but they don't really ever charge up to a full 1.5v – if you test yours with a multimeter, I'd like to bet they're less than that, possibly as low as 1.3v, even when fully charged. For things like flash units and accessories without moving parts, this is a trivial point, but cameras with retractable lenses need that little bit more voltage.

Try some alkaline or lithium non-rechargeables; they always have the full 1.5v and could well solve your problem.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.el_GR.title
techlove
Visitor

I've cleaned with the alcohol the battery connectors but the ruslt didn't change. I want to use rechargable batteries because it's kind waste of money to buy all the time alkaline batteries. Any rechargable batteries with nice performance?

Thanks,

Chris

Mick2011
New

According to the owner's manual you're restricted to NiMh or Alkaline AA, so you're moving into uncharted territory even using standard Lithium AAs. The first thing to do if you were determined to look for alternative power sources is try a set of Alkalines and see if what I suggested works. If it does, they are all I would recommend, as they're listed as compatible and won't void your warranty.

It may be that CR-V3 packs will fit and work. These are Lithium rechargeables that are the exact shape & size of two AAs but supply a reliable 3.0v, which is what you want from 2x1.5v AAs. I don't have any way of checking their compatibility with the W7 and I'd suggest if you are looking to try this you ask at a high-street camera store, if they will let you try one out. I don't think you can do any damage but there's no way of knowing they'll physically fit. Certainly the W7's non-paired +/- battery insertion method looks about right.

Dont be tempted to try ZiNc AA rechargeables; I've heard some reports of leakage and they probably are capable of damaging your camera.

Cheers

Mick