Join now - be part of our community!

Changing file type on Sony DSCWX500

profile.country.GB.title
mollievrowland
New

Changing file type on Sony DSCWX500

Hi guys! I recently got the Sony DSCWX500 Digital Compact High Zoom Travel Camera. I was using it for vlogging while I was travelling and I forgot to change the settings on the camera from AVCHD to MP4. When I put my clips on to my computer to edit they come up as CPI files and I cannot edit them. I have tried converting them, I have tried changing the file type using the control panel settings and none of it is working. Can anyone help me turn my AVCHD/CPI file into MP4 so I can edit it? Does anyone know the way in which I can change the settings on my camera or on my computer? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi @mollievrowland, welcome to the Community :slight_smile: 

What editing suite are you using? A good many non-basic Windows-based video editors can handle AVCHD files these days, although they can be trickier on a Mac. 

If you've tried this already, could you describe which software you used?

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @mollievrowland,

oooh, I really do hope that you haven't deleted/formatted your SD card meanwhile.

You won't have any luck in trying to open those CPI files as they're nothing but files which contain some information or a thumbnail image related to the "real" video files of the same name (besides the extension) on the card.

The video files of your camera should have a file extension like MP4 and/or MTS/M2TS. Because you said that you were taking your movies in AVCHD I'd say that you need be looking for MTS/M2TS files. In case the folder structure on your SD card is the same as the one of my α6500 you should find your clips somewhere in the folder named "PRIVATE", most likely in the sub-folder AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM.

Cheers,

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)