Join now - be part of our community!

Feeling bullied by Sony Service

profile.country.GB.title
Chiefssupporter
Explorer

Feeling bullied by Sony Service

I bought a Sony camera through Amazon in August 2016. It has developed some defects on the viewing screen and, on the recommendation of Amazon, I sent it to Sony for a new screen to be fitted. Amazon thought the cost would be about £50. I was contacted by Sony who asked me to get into touch with them and, on doing so, was informed by Nicola that their invariable charge is £117 - about half the current value of the camera - oh and she could not supply the part for me to fix it myself.  The price was apparently non-negotiable but she gave me a number of Sony Customer Support who she said fixed the charges. I duly called them and was informed that this is not the case - they merely deal with customer queries on products. Just be warned - do not buy a Sony camera with any expectation that you will be looked after.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Sorry to hear you feel this way!

I would recommend getting in touch with the team here for further advice.

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Chiefssupporter
Explorer

I can see little purpose in making further contact. I have already spoken on the phone to three separate people and they either made it clear that the (completely unreasonable) minimum charge of £117 was not negotiable - or denied any responsibility for setting the charge.

Just to remind you of what happened; there was some de-lamination on the LCD screen of my 18-month-old Sony RX10. I was advised by Amazon to send the camera to Sony (they supplied me with the address) and I was told (by Amazon) that the likely charge for the replacement of the LCD screen was £50. Once Sony had received the camera, they (Sony) informed me that the minimum charge for any repair was £117 - which was both the wrong time to tell me and extortionate.

I remain totally disatisfied with the service from Sony and would advise anyone NEVER to buy a Sony camera without a five-year warranty.