Join now - be part of our community!

Sync Reader not working

profile.country.en_GB.title
chheadl
New

Sync Reader not working

I bought my e-reader a couple of weeks ago, and have transferred quite a few books and some music to it. However, over the weekend the Sync Reader seemed to stop working properly - it says it is processing, but the twirly thing isn't moving and nothing happens.

What can I do?

7 REPLIES 7
carpetmojo

Reset ?

See manual, or probably elsewhere on this Forum, or try Mobileread Forum - but paperclip is the essential high-tec tool required.  :neutral:

Message was edited by: carpetmojo - incomprehensible spelling....

chheadl
New

I hadn't thought of resetting as the solution. I have now applied paperclip, but I suspect it hasn't worked.(What evidence should I have been looking for?)

I have now connected up again. Twirly thing* on left is going and battery is charging, but twirly thing in detailed status screen has completely vanished.

*Imagine a stick of rock. 'Twirly thing on left' is 'Brighton' going round and round; 'twirly thing in detailed status screen' is the outside of the length of the stick.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi chheadl,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

What model Sony Reaeder do you have.?

chheadl
New

PRC 650

Hope that helps!

Best wishes

ch

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi, lets try a soft reset first..

1. Reset the Reader by pressing the RESET hole with a small pin or clip.
    /support/attachments/412833/prs350.PNG

2. After 5 seconds, slide the POWER switch to restart the Reader.
    The content and settings stored on the Reader are not affected by resetting.

Notes

• The bookmarks, highlights, handwritten memos, or the setting information may be deleted by resetting.
  • The screen will not change after pressing the RESET hole. Slide the power switch to restart the Reader.
  • Do  not push the RESET hole with a breakable point, such as the  graphite  of a mechanical pencil. It causes the RESET hole to be blocked.
chheadl
New

I had tried a soft reset, to no noticeable effect.

I then formatted the memory card. (I now have a new and more powerful one, upon which I am loading all audio files, leaving the main memory for the books which are the object of having the e-reader.)

Later on, I got impatient and formatted the main memory, having got the idea but not the actual process off an answer to a very similar question to mine. I then reinstalled all the books still in the Library memory, and added more from Gutenberg. (This does mean that I sacrificed the manual, but I now know who to ask..... ) Sync seems to have been mostly working since, though it still tends to hang rather a lot. I am puzzled that it hangs on Book A and I cancel the sync, only to find Book A on the reader. Maybe I should put it out of its misery sooner and it would complete the job quicker. Anyway, I may have cracked the problem.

There is another problem outstanding - I can't download from any of the linked 'buy' sites, like Waterstones and WHSmith. However, I shall have a thorough read of other posts on this site and try to work it out for myself before bothering you kind people again.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Sounds like you've made some progress..:smileyhappy:

(This does mean that I sacrificed the manual, but I now know who to ask..... )

All is not lost click the following link and you can download the PRS-650 User Guide