Join now - be part of our community!

Why must we pay VAT on eBooks?

profile.country.en_GB.title
malbank
Visitor

Why must we pay VAT on eBooks?

Sony must start a campaign to remove the VAT element on eBooks which is now a massive 20%.

Physical books are VAT exempt.

I understand that the provision of eLiterature is viewed as a service by the EU but surely this in direct conflict with their express aim to reduce the carbon footprint of all member states.   Surely an eBook (longer term) provides a much greener option that yet more tree felling.

If we are all to enjoy our eReaders to the utmost we must be encouraged (if not rewarded) for their use and not disadvantaged by higher prices.

Message was edited by: malbank

Message was edited by: malbank

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
SteveF48
New

It isn't just the VAT. All ebooks should cost a lot less than paper books, because there are no materials, or printing costs.

I think that publishers are taking the mickey and I refuse to buy ebooks until the prices drop and the quality improves. I can't remember the last book that I read with errors in, but 90% of ebooks contain spelling mistakes and other errors.

I've found that the best source for ebooks is my county library, it's free and they have most of the latest books. They still unfortunately have DRM, which means that I have to jump through hoops to download them as Sony's software doesn't work!