Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DSXA510BD Car Stereo

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

Sony DSXA510BD Car Stereo

As this device is compact, I'm going to purchase it to sit on a small bedside table for a stereophonic experience laying in bed. Have power supply (Mains to 12V 10A) and just 2 speakers, each 5cm 3.2 Ohm. Any problems likely from this or will I have it right. Thanks all

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

All done, Hannah. Glorious stereo with speakers either side of bed. I was so impressed by the result, that I obtained 2 more speakers and mounted them on a shelf directly above. The pin housings were obtained from a car breakers. No problem! As parts, they're as common as Swedish blondes in the breakers trade and usually end up in recyc. The fellow even refused to take any money for them. 

Best

Ray

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

There's more!

In use it has been found that a couple of hours listening flattens the battery, used to provide the 'permanent charge' to the yellow wire. The red wire ('switched charge') doesn't provide all the charge needed, and some is obviously taken from the motorcycle battery

To get round this, I needed to make a link between red and yellow with a switch, which we'll call 'battery override'. You also need to put a switch in the yellow wire between the battery and the link. We'll call this switch 'battery circuit'. So when ready for a nights listening, turn on the 'switched supply' and then turn 'battery override' on. Count to 10 and then turn 'battery circuit' off. 

When finished listening, turn 'battery circuit' back on. Count to 10, then 'battery override' off. It is then safe to turn 'switched supply' off, and then press 'off' on the car stereo to shut the thing down

Reads a bit involved but in practice straightforward. Worth the effort with 4 speakers around the bed and the stereo effect enjoyed.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Ray200, I am not sure how will that work, but you can find the power requirements on the Manual page 25:  https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4697/c257eaa5ad540f8b3e3ce9f5a7fc7b32/46974191M...

profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

Thanks, Hannah

I've gone ahead and bought the unit. DAB / FM antenna waiting for me to
pick up today. Power source (12V 10A) wired into the thing. Will let you
know how it goes!
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Congrats! Thank you for the update ^^

profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

Hello Hannah

I powered the thing up this afternoon. It works but not a sound out of it.
So it's diagnostic times from next week. I suspect the RCA outputs. Also,
it needs a continuous charge if you don't want the auto tune kicking in
each time you switch on - so it looks like I'll have to get a small 12V
motorcycle battery in the bedroom for that (yellow wire).

All in, it looks like a case of "mothers tell your children, not to do what
I have done" but it's not going to be a problem for me. I retired last year
and need a project that will keep my mind sharp, and having time to develop
my schoolboy interest in electronics looks to be just the ticket. Happy
days...

Ray
profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

One question if I could, HannahEd01. It concerns the wiring harness that comes with the unit. A 16 pin housing plugs into the stereo, with 2 x 8 pin (males) coming off it. What is the name / make of these housings? There are dozens of different designs around! To make a clean hookup, I need to obtain 2 x 8 pin females from somewhere.

Thanks if you know

Ray

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Ray,

I have to admit, I'm impressed with this level of dedication. I mean, I'm crafty, but no patience :'D.

I'm sorry that I don't have this info for you, but I'm sure one of the members might be able to help. ^^ Goodluck.

profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

All done, Hannah. Glorious stereo with speakers either side of bed. I was so impressed by the result, that I obtained 2 more speakers and mounted them on a shelf directly above. The pin housings were obtained from a car breakers. No problem! As parts, they're as common as Swedish blondes in the breakers trade and usually end up in recyc. The fellow even refused to take any money for them. 

Best

Ray

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Ray, glad to hear you found a solution and thank you for sharing the info here as it would help others in the future!

profile.country.GB.title
Ray200
Explorer

There's more!

In use it has been found that a couple of hours listening flattens the battery, used to provide the 'permanent charge' to the yellow wire. The red wire ('switched charge') doesn't provide all the charge needed, and some is obviously taken from the motorcycle battery

To get round this, I needed to make a link between red and yellow with a switch, which we'll call 'battery override'. You also need to put a switch in the yellow wire between the battery and the link. We'll call this switch 'battery circuit'. So when ready for a nights listening, turn on the 'switched supply' and then turn 'battery override' on. Count to 10 and then turn 'battery circuit' off. 

When finished listening, turn 'battery circuit' back on. Count to 10, then 'battery override' off. It is then safe to turn 'switched supply' off, and then press 'off' on the car stereo to shut the thing down

Reads a bit involved but in practice straightforward. Worth the effort with 4 speakers around the bed and the stereo effect enjoyed.