Join now - be part of our community!

Successor to SCD-xa5400es

profile.country.en_GB.title
zefiroGavin
Visitor

Successor to SCD-xa5400es

I have been reading very tempting reviews of the upmarket 5400 ES CD/SACD player, then realised it's no longer available here (though apparently it still is in USA).

Does anyone know if Sony has done a follow up of comparable quality?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
cvsonyboy
Explorer

As far as I can see Sony has given up on SACD, it seems to have quietly slipped of their radar, but of course I could be wrong.  I do get frustrated with Sony as they produce some brilliant products, such as SACD and then seem to lose their way with it all.  They produced some excellent quality SACD players and you felt they cared about quality and sound.  That all seems to have passed and I have no idea really what their direction is and how they see the audio future.  All I do know is that SACD is far better in my view than BluRay Audio which seems to be rearing its head and I think will not have much of a future, whereas SACD is a versatile high quality format that I have really enjoyed over the past 10 years.  It might be that if we want good SACD players in the near future we have to look to the secondhand market.  I can't help but feel that Sony have lets its customers down really, as there are many that support this format and it seems that Sony is not interested in them anymore!