Join now - be part of our community!

vtuner setup for MX750Ni

profile.country.en_GB.title
harkers
Visitor

vtuner setup for MX750Ni

Hi. I have just set up my new MX750Ni on my network and can stream music from my Twonky NAS. However, when I try to use the Music Services option I select VTuner but receive a "Cannot Connect" message. Also the manual tells me to scroll down on the Music Services menu to see the registration code but this does not show as an option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Harkers

38 REPLIES 38
wilsonmfw

Would seem to be problem between Sony and Vtuner with Sony perhaps not
wanting to pay increased fees for service being provided. Can't be systems
as they have been working fine. Either that or Sony want to charge for free
service?
profile.country.GB.title
DrakesDrum

Thanks for that - thats what I thought. I have a couple of pals with the
same system - I will see if theirs are still working.

Do Sony pay for a certain number of years on the service? Sony support
keep asking me how long I have had the machine.

Pity - I love the vTuner service.

Many thanks

Gen
x
wilsonmfw

Problem not with equipment, Sony not giving access to Vtuner servers or
being denied access by Vtuner probably due to some contentious issue about
what Vtuner want to charge or Sony perhaps wants to charge for what was a
'free' service so may change freebie provider and use as an excuse to
charge! Whatever the reason, Sony do not appear to give a **** about us,
the consumer!

--------

Edited by Drew - Profanity removed

jpickard
Explorer

I've been in touch with Sony a number of times this past week.  Here are extracts of that correspondence below.  Basically Sony are stating its not their fault.  Their fault status page doesn't tell much either (http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/NAS-SV20DI).  I've got a NAS player that's a few years old.  Given the most recent Sony NAS players have the same fault I would think Sony is/should be very embarresed about this!

Here's Sony's response.  Skip the bit about tuning the DAB radio because it's not relevant.  Read the bit about vTuner.

----

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate providing the requested photo showing the service error.

With regards to the Radio stations, this error requires performing DAB/DAB+ Initial Scan (page 36), or refresh the service list (page 45): http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4192583121.pdf

-          If the issue remains, reset the system and try again:

Press and hold (power) on the main unit for 10 seconds to reset the unit.

In relation to vTuner, please note that the Native App implementation of the vTuner service on Sony connected consumer electronic products are currently unavailable due to service provider related issues.

As a result both services have been offline as of 08/09/14 at approximately 3:53 CET to minimize the negative customer experience.

wilsonmfw

Simply put, Sony do not like what Vtuner want to charge them for providing
Vtuner service. Sony being too big for their boots again OR Sony suddenly
realised they were providing something for nothing and would prefer us to
pay for provision of an Internet radio service!
jpickard
Explorer

Here is the formal response from Sony - which includes a list of affected equipment.  I'm making more enquiries about this and will post once I have a satisfactory response.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/vtuner-announcement

wilsonmfw

Typical, try to make out it is their equipment! It worked fine till the 8th so what's changed. Software and firmware problems can be resolved in 24 to 48 hours. Still have gut feeling there is some internal dispute between Sony and Vtuner over provision of service and related charges? 

Sent from Samsung Mobile
profile.country.GB.title
DrakesDrum

I have heard again from Sony - I think they are talking money for renewal.
jpickard
Explorer

Anyone can develop for vTuner.  Here's how streaming devices, like Sony's, use the vTuner service:

1. The streaming media device contacts the vTuner login server
2. Our login server passes the request to one of our database servers
3. The database server helps you browse or search the station listings
4. The server identifies your chosen station and returns the correct link information to the streaming media device
5. The streaming media device now uses this link to contact the chosen station and request a stream

I suspect Sony fails at step #2.  Anyone putting a network sniffer on their home network - or looking at URLs GET/POSTs and responses from their Sony medial player are likely to see the failure at step #2.

profile.country.DE.title
mypointofview

September 2014

See a more universal thread (covering all of Sony's vTuner enabled devices) here: http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/hi-fi-systems/vtuner-not-working/td-p/1755913