Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S1100 knocks other connections off router

SOLVED

BDP-S1100 knocks other connections off router

Whenever I connect my BDP-S1100 blu-ray player to my router via the wired ethernet connection all other wifi devices connected to my router get kicked off. I've never seen this happen before and have had multiple devices connected to my router, including a wired Google TV box, without any problems. I'm therefore suspicious of the BDP-S1100 initially. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?

I tried both the auto-configured settings and the manual. In the manual set-up I disabled IPv6 to no to effect. Unfortunately I only have one ethernet cable so I don't know if this affects other wired connections.

Not only do all the other devices get kicked off when the BDP-S1100 connects but they can no longer reconnect. They claim that my network no longer exists ("not in range"). Only when I turn off the BDP-S1100 do the other devices pick up the network and can connect again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Failing a reboot of router - Im wondering if there is electrical interference.  If you are using an older/cheaper HDMI lead, I would replace this lead first with a better quality one.  Another network lead would not hurt either.

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Did you try reboot your router - leaving it off for a while?

Routers are like cheap PC's, they need rebooting occasionally.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Failing a reboot of router - Im wondering if there is electrical interference.  If you are using an older/cheaper HDMI lead, I would replace this lead first with a better quality one.  Another network lead would not hurt either.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

I did try rebooting the router and it didn't have any effect.

I bought another ethernet cable so that I could see what effect there was on the Goggle TV box. It was a short cable (0.5m) so, due to the geometry of the layout, I had to use that for the BDP-S110 and reverted to using my existing ethernet cable for the Google TV box. I also swapped the HDMI cables that each was using.

They both connected fine to the router and so I tested the wifi devices and interestingly enough they were now fine i.e. they had not been kicked off the router. I tried again with the BDP-S1100 on and the GoogleTV box off and again the wifi devices were working fine.

I'm not sure exactly what has fixed the issue. Perhaps the new ethernet cable did the trick and/or the swapping of the HDMI cables. Now that it's working I'm reluctant to swap things about too much. During my testing I did discover that two of the ethernet ports on my router appear to be dead. That might have been caused by a power surge through my phone line last year so perhaps that had a role to play too.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies.