Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S490 sound quality issues

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rgale47
Explorer

BDP-S490 sound quality issues

Hi all.

I recently bought a BDP-S490 Blu-ray player to go with my KDL40HX753 TV.

When I connect the TV to my home cinema system ( a Sony STR-DB925 ) via the digital optical output at the rear of the TV, I only get stereo sound rather than full dolby digital from the Blu-ray player - which is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. I have the same issue with my Sky HD box, and I read somewhere else that Sky boxes wont put out dolby digital sound via an HDMI cable & I'm wondering if I have the same issue with the Blu-ray player.

Does anyone know whether a BDP-S490 will put out full dolby digital audio via an HDMI cable.?

Also, if I connect the Blu-ray player directly to the home cinema system via a digital optical cable I get full dolby sound, but it's somewhat distorted......the only way I can describe it is that it sounds as though the actors are talking under water..?? At first, I thought it was the blu-ray disc, but it's happened with a number of discs now. It's not the cable 'cause I re-connected my old blu-ray player using the same digital optical lead & the sound was fine....

Any ideas anyone..??

Ray.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

you need to connect your player to your tv via HDMI, then you need either a digital optical or a digital coaxial cable, presonally if you want to connect Sky thru the amp then use digital optical for this and a coaxial for the player and connect these to the amp, dont forget to set the output on the player for this and you should be fine,

you will need to mute the tv speakers if your using the amp or you will get an echo.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Bravia55HX

Hi,

you need to connect your player to your tv via HDMI, then you need either a digital optical or a digital coaxial cable, presonally if you want to connect Sky thru the amp then use digital optical for this and a coaxial for the player and connect these to the amp, dont forget to set the output on the player for this and you should be fine,

you will need to mute the tv speakers if your using the amp or you will get an echo.

profile.country.GB.title
rgale47
Explorer

Ah, right.........I didn't realise that the Blu-ray player had a digital coaxial output but having checked the manual I see that it does.

I'll re-connect using that & see if it sures the distortion - I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for the reply..!!

profile.country.GB.title
rgale47
Explorer

Also noticed that I may not have set the Blu-ray players audio output settings correctly - should've read the manual first..!!

I was thinking of getting an STR-DH820 with HDMI inputs/output, as my STR-DB925 is a few years old now. However, if none of my stuff outputs Dolby digital via HDMI ( which seems likely ) then there probably isn't much point..??

Bravia55HX

i have my player connected to an old str-db830 via coaxial and it outputs DD and DTS, no TrueHD granted but im happy enough with that,

and yes, i said you have to do the audio output settings in my first post :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rgale47
Explorer

Yes, you did indeed.....:smileyhappy:..

I think I'll stick with my existing amp for the time being.....given the cost of an upgrade, I'm not convinced that it's worth the outlay....