Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S6200 switches off when trying to access internet apps

tamcol
New

BDP-S6200 switches off when trying to access internet apps

I have recently bought this product, and although I have no issues with playback of blu-ray discs everytime I try to access any of the online features such as SEN, netflix, amazon prime video, the loading icon comes on the screen, but after about 30 seconds the whole machine shuts down.  I have successfully connected to the internet via a wireless connection and it is running with the latest firmware.  I already have a PS3 running on the same broadband connection and have no problem with that machine.

I have tried a factory reset and started from scratch, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

Yes I too had a mysterious shut down just a few days ago while watching a video on the Amazon Prime trial. The video had literally been playing only a few minutes and suddenly the screen went black and I heard a clicking noise as the BDP-S7200 shut down. So far this has happened only once however I am now becoming quite suspicious of the latest firmware releases. Other users on the US forum are reporting all manner of ills since these updates were released.

I do have an open case with support presently and so I will add this to my growing list of complaints.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I note that you have updated the FW and factory reset the player, If this is still a continual problem (leaving MK_Slinky's issue aside) - my advice is to take it back to your retailer and exchange it with another unit, as this should not be happening.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Having the same problem on my BDP-S7200 more frequently now!!

Both Amazon Prime, YouTube and BBC iPLayer regularly cause this device to lock-up and become unresponsive to any remote commands. 

I just watched 'San Andreas' on Amazon Prime and the movie played to the end however I could not return to the Home Screen or exit from the Amazon Prime app. On this ocassion I was able to turn this device off via the remote control though this is very rare. Of course doing this results in another issue whereby the 'OFF' light flashes on the front display repeatedly and as is usually the case the only solution is to pull the power lead from the wall while this unit is still turned on. 

I've just checked Amazon UK website and the number of people who have reported this same issue is quite considerable. Even customers who've received replacements from Amazon are having the exact same issues with replacement devices or replacements fro replacements.....!!!!!!!

Given the frequency of these issues with my own device I'm now certain that the issue is a memory leak of some sort. Sony needs to release a new firmware pretty quick or face receiving a truck load of RMA's.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

I have the BDP-S5200 which is hooked up to a television that the kids watch - they also watch Amazon Instants, Youtube etc. Several months ago after they had finished watching and it was bed time I realised the unit was still powered on even though they had said it was 'all off'. The only way I could shut it down was via the wall socket. Since that time it has, as you say, locked up on occasions but not enough and too random to determine a pattern and problem solve. The last software update was back in December/January but for the life of me I cannot remember when the symptoms first started. The remote does indeed become redundant when this occurs, I have a feeling it is more likely to lock up after it has been in use for several hours ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Jonnie1266

Thanks for your valuable input, from what I read on other forums and elsewhere on the internet this issue certainly is reproducable and always occurs when using any streaming apps though it suggest the problem is mainly with Amazon Prime, YouTube & BBC iPlayer. Most likely it exists in ALL streaming apps but given that most are a waste of time and not worth watching people probably only notice them on apps which are used more often.

Prior to the last firmware update I hadn't really used the streaming apps very much so like you I cannot say exactly when this issue ocurred. I do know however that I reported several bugs with my device within a few weeks of purchasing it but typically Sony support weren't very helpful.

You mentioned that you feel it happens mostly after several hours use but in my case it can sometimes happen within seconds and especially on YouTube.

I'm hoping a moderator can escalate this to one of the engineers for a full investigation. One customer on Amazon.co.uk website has been in touch with them to discus this problem and has been told that Sony did release a fix but it wasn't passed by Amazon as it failed to work. Apparently Sony have released a new fix which is still in testing but how true all of this is I don't know. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@MK_Slinky

Thanks for the info' :slight_smile:

I received my unit on 11th July last year so the twelve month warranty has expired, saying this the player does work perfectly in every other way. It may well be something to do with the apps and streaming. Considering I am virtually on 'dial up' with my broadband speed I have always been quite impressed with the Amazon streaming facility as there is hardly any buffering.

I hope that you are right and that there will be a fix available soon - watch this space........

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Jonnie1266

For me personally I bought mine within a few weeks of it's initial launch in April last year 2014. Thankfully I purchased a 5 year extended warranty through Richer Sounds and I did make them aware shortly after my purchase that it was having some issues. 

Like you my broadband is quite slow at just 5.7 MBps down but it streams both HD and SD content admirably when it works!!

Don't hold your breath on a fix from Sony anytime soon though. I just checked this issue on the US forum and it's been ongoing already since April this year and maybe even longer on some other posts. I've noticed that Sony has a nasty habbit of letting things go unnoticed until product support ends for those devices so they can wash their hands of the problem. Will they ever change?