Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S7200 not playing video after update

profile.country.GB.title
quinch
Explorer

BDP-S7200 not playing video after update

My S7200 forced a firmware update last week (to M21.R.0181).  Since that update it fails to play DVDs, Blu-Ray discs, or stream from Plex; iPlayer, Netflix still work.  All that happens is a blank screen, and the player is unresponsive.

Any suggestions as to what I could try?  I've done a power off-wait-power on, and full factory reset, and nothing has changed.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Quinch,

Welcome to the community.

Please try the troubleshooting tips here and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
quinch
Explorer

Hi Ed,

Thanks. I've done all that, and had no success.

Frustratingly, Sony Customer Service aren't interested as it's out of warranty.  Ask I know of that I had a working player last week and a software update seems to have broken it.

profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Quinch,

We'll look into this and let you know if we find any more information for you. 

Best wishes,

Ed 

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Just to say I have the very same model player, which also updated recently, but I don't have issues playing Blu Ray discs or DVDs since.

I am not sure if the device will allow this - but you could try the USB method to re-load the firmware.   It may refuse to do so though if it doesn't see it as a later version.

profile.country.GB.title
quinch
Explorer

Thanks - could you double check your software version for me (I'm on M21.R.0181)?  I've just tried another full reset, initialize personal data, unplug for 5 minutes, and no improvement.  I've also tried the USB method to re-update the firmware, but it doesn't see it as 'new' any more.

It plays Netflix, iPlayer, but not discs or Plex (DLNA), and it's only been doing this since the update.  Slightly interesting (to me) is that Sony CS have at no point said that it wasn't the update that has caused this.

It might not be the firmware, and if that's the case, no problem (other than still having broken player!) - I just want to know.  At the moment, I'm hunting for a new TV, and Sony are currently off my shortlist, because I don't want to take the risk that my TV stops working after an update.

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

I've just checked the version I have and it is the same M21.R.0181.

Given that this stopped working for you right after the update I woudl have thoguht Sony would have been interested in checking the unit out to find out why.

profile.country.GB.title
quinch
Explorer

I'd have thought so, too.

CADIYATSIA
Explorer

@ccarmock wrote:

Just to say I have the very same model player, which also updated recently, but I don't have issues playing Blu Ray discs or DVDs since.Vidmate iTunes Notepad++

I am not sure if the device will allow this - but you could try the USB method to re-load the firmware.   It may refuse to do so though if it doesn't see it as a later version.

profile.country.GB.title
quinch
Explorer

Thanks.  I've tried that, but it doesn't see it as newer than the one that's there.