Join now - be part of our community!

BDPS-790 New YouTube For TV Full Screen

Mr_Sony_User
Explorer

BDPS-790 New YouTube For TV Full Screen

Hi all.

Just updated my Sony BDPS-790 to the latest firmware, and noticed the New YouTube For TV icon on the crossbar.

I had a look at this as my wife really enjoys the 'Come Dine With Me' programs and they have lots of them on YouTube. I was able to find many to play, but I just end up with the program playing in a small screen on my 40" Sony TV with a 'Come Dine With Me' logo at the top third of the screen, and gaps either side.

Is there any way to make this play full screen, I've tried all sorts of things but it wont change the size of the picture. Its quite frustrating and my wifes given up now and in a huff!

Appreciate any help you be able to give 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately Sony has no control of the inner workings of YouTube.  As a suggestion, try posting this on the Google/YouTube Forums : https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/youtube/smart-tvs

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I'm not having this issue with my BDP-S7200 which has the same YouTube app. Could it be a matter of screen resolution/aspect ratio perhaps?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Mr_Sony_User
Explorer

Hi Qunnicus

Thanks, I will do to see if this is an issue. There doesn't seem to be any settings I can change and everthing else works ok on the TV screen, its odd!

Cheers

Mr_Sony_User
Explorer

Hi MK_Slinky

Do you have 2 YouTube apps? I have the old You Tube and also one thats called 'New YouTube For TV', its this one that has the screen size problem. I can't change anything on it at all, but it is a lot easier to find viewing content on this one, and if it were full screen it would be great to watch.

If you have this app, does yours just simply play full screen? Mine plays in a box about half the visible 40" screen size with a 'Come Dine With Me' logo at the top of the viewing box and black bars down either side. I cant change anything, their arent any settings to access and the remote 'options' button doesn't do anything.

I'll keep trying and post up if I get a fix.

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Mr_Sony_User 

Hi there, no I only have one YouTube app but I think it's just called 'YouTube'. I mentioned perhaps tinkering with the screen resolution/aspect ratio because I wondered if you could change those on your TV to improve the size of what you were viewing. I'm not referring to the YouTube app specifically but the settings built into your TV. I think all newer TV's have that option and sometimes you can even magnify or expand on-screen images to make them appear bigger.

Have a look at your TV manual, I suspect you will find something similar you could experiment with.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Mr_Sony_User
Explorer

Hi there.

I still have the 2 You Tube Apps, and the Come Dine With Me content does the same thing on both. I've tried other content on both apps and it does actually play full screen and properly, so it must just be the contents settings not the TV. Not to worry & thanks for the replies.

I found a workaround by using a laptop linked to the Sony TV with a HDMI cable and I can now watch ITV Player & 4OD on the tv in high quality.

When will Sony get these apps on our TV's and BluRay Players, its a pain having to use another device to watch catch up tv!?

Thanks all 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Mr_Sony_User wrote:

Hi there.

I still have the 2 You Tube Apps, and the Come Dine With Me content does the same thing on both. I've tried other content on both apps and it does actually play full screen and properly, so it must just be the contents settings not the TV. Not to worry & thanks for the replies.

I found a workaround by using a laptop linked to the Sony TV with a HDMI cable and I can now watch ITV Player & 4OD on the tv in high quality.

When will Sony get these apps on our TV's and BluRay Players, its a pain having to use another device to watch catch up tv!?

Thanks all 🙂

I agree with your last paragraph, speaking for myself I feel Sony gives us loads of American rubbish on our players but here in the UK all I need are the following catch-up services...

BBC iPlayer (already supplied)

ITV Player (not supplied)!

4 OD (not supplied)!

Demand 5 (already supplied)

Plus the following services...

Amazon LoveFilm (already supplied)

Netflix (already supplied)

No doubt there are a few others people might suggest, feel free to add your own in the comments below.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MK_Slinky wrote:
I agree with your last paragraph, speaking for myself I feel Sony gives us loads of American rubbish on our players but here in the UK all I need are the following catch-up services...

BBC iPlayer (already supplied)

ITV Player (not supplied)!

4 OD (not supplied)!

Demand 5 (already supplied)

Plus the following services...

Amazon LoveFilm (already supplied)

Netflix (already supplied)

No doubt there are a few others people might suggest, feel free to add your own in the comments below.

In regards to ITV Player and 4OD - This is out of Sony's hands unfortunately. 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

:slight_frown: I am very sad!!