Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia Link and Sony HT-CT260H query

lufchris
New

Bravia Link and Sony HT-CT260H query

Evening

I'm looking to purchase a Sony HT CT260H and want to double check the situation with the Bravia Link.

I have an older Panasonic plasma tv that unfortunately doesn't have the ARC functionality to transmit sound to the soundbar. That's fine as I'll just connect via Optical. What is critical is maintaining my current single remote control between my sky box, tv and surround sound with the sky remote. I presume this is down to the Bravia link? 

Will I need to connect the soundbar up to my TV by HDMI to do this (even though doing so gives no visual or audio output)? If so, do I need to plug it in to the HDMI In or Out on the Soundbar? I presume the Bravia link won't work through the Optical cable?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The Bravia Sync will not work without the HDMI connection.  Sonys Bravia Sync is the brand name behind the more generic industry term called HDMI-CEC, which transmits data via pin 13 on the HDMI cable.  These features are not present in Optical cables.

The problem remains is : Does your Panasonic TV support HDMI-CEC functions (called Viera Link or sometimes called EZ-Sync).  If your TV doesnt. You should be able to connect the CT-260H to the TV via optical link and control the sound via the Sky remote.  You will need to manually turn the soundbar on though, as well as having the TV setup to output audio via optical. 

I am not guarranteeing this, as there are variables and do not know your full setup.  However a quick google search comes up with : http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1444739   So looks promising.  If its absolutely critical, I would advise you purcashing the CT260H online as we (UK) have a Consumer Contracts Regulation of which you can return goods within 14 days.  See HERE for details.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

lufchris
New

Thanks for the fast reply Quinnicus!

Yes my TV has Viera Link, I believe the actual model is a TXP4610SB or something along these lines.

So a Viera link TV and a Bravia link HC will fully integrate as long as there is a HDMI connection between the two?

Sounds good!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lufchris wrote:
So a Viera link TV and a Bravia link HC will fully integrate as long as there is a HDMI connection between the two?

Hey there

In theory, Yes.  However in practise it 'can' be different.  So no guarrantees.  The reason why its can be different is because even though there are HDMI-CEC standards, they are rather loose in the standards set.  Therefore each manufacturer implements it slightly differently and occasionally this is where problems occur.  

Just giving you information from my experience, because I dont want to say 100% it will work - however at this stage, I cannot see any reason why it shouldnt.  You will only really know, once you set it up.

HDMI connection between devices (ie TV and soundbar) is now the preferred connection.  Gives access to more features and better sound than an optical link.

Cheers