Join now - be part of our community!

connecting the BDV-N7200W to a KDL-40W5500

albolto13
Explorer

connecting the BDV-N7200W to a KDL-40W5500

Hi Forum,

I am hoping you can help me with an issue I am confused with. Basically I have just brought a BDV-N7200W Surround sound system to connect to my Sony KDL-40W5500. I have just connected the 2 systems by HDMI cable only no digital cable. The speakers seem to be working and I seem to have surround sound from the speakers. But the instructions in the BDV-N7200W says that if you do not have ARC HDMI port on your TV you will need to connect a Digital optical cable as well. 

So my question is does the sound still come out of the speakers but not 5.1?

Many Thanks

🙂

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am not sure why your getting sound from the BDV system speakers - unless you are using the DVD/bluray player to playback - which will work.  Your TV does not support ARC (Audio Return Channel) - which means that if your watching normal TV (ie Freeview), you cannot listen to the audio via the BDV Speakers UNLESS you connect that Optical Cable, and set your TV to output via "Audio System".

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Optical cables can do 5.1 Audio too! :wink:

In addition you also mentioned that you're using HDMI but not digital, HDMI is Digital. :wink:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14