Join now - be part of our community!

Dual Layer DVDs

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lampgb
Visitor

Dual Layer DVDs

I discovered after compiling a holiday video using Vegas Pro 9, that the file size was too great to fit on the standard 4.7GB blank DVD. How easy is it to burn Dual Layer DVDs? Is a special burner required?

Will standard DVD players recognise and play DL DVDs? I use a SONY BDP S370 Blue-ray for playback purposes and I cannot find out from the spec whether or not the player can handle Dual layer discs.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

no expert but can tell you that you need a dual layer dvd burner drive in your pc and dual layer discs to burn to, all dvd players play dual layer discs so you dont have to worry about that ( all the movies that you buy or rent are dual layer format ).

hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
-Cass-
Explorer

Hello and welcome to Sony forums.

I have moved this discussion to the TV & Home Cinema forum in order for your query to be seen by the experts, who will then be able to help you.

Our forums are divided into different sections: we have general Sony news and chat,  TV and home cinema,  camera, the reader, computing and audio.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Yours truly,

Sony Moderator

Bravia55HX

Hi,

no expert but can tell you that you need a dual layer dvd burner drive in your pc and dual layer discs to burn to, all dvd players play dual layer discs so you dont have to worry about that ( all the movies that you buy or rent are dual layer format ).

hope this helps.

lampgb
Visitor

Hi there

Many thanx. Is DVD R9 the same as DVD RW9? .My PC has a DVD RW9 burner installed which I assume will handle dual layer discs but with the variations in the terms I cannot be sure. Once again hope you can help

Regards

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

DVD-RW means the disc is re- writable can be used many times, your burner may ask you to format it first before you write anything on it, best to use DVD-R,  Not 100% sure but have experienced that players dont care much for RW discs, buy yourself a pack of cheap DVD-R's and do dummy runs, then if your confident buy some decent ones to save and archive your collection.

one final note if you can finalise your disc after burn, do that too.

if you have done it right it will play ok in your DVD player.

have fun.