Join now - be part of our community!

EPG timer Rec problem

dwoodward13
Explorer

EPG timer Rec problem

I have a Sony RDR-HXD560. For nearly two weeks now, it has been starting the EPG timer rec fine but simply fails to stop. I have in some cases inadvertantly recorded 8 hours of TV because it didn't stop after the original 30-min program had ended. In most cases, however, the amount of extra time is random.

I can seemingly make the EPG 'remember' to stop recording by going to the EPG and simply selecting (ie highlighting or sometimes selecting with 'enter') the program that I don't want to record - ie the first program that is erroneously recorded. Then the EPG flickers a bit and recording stops.

So, what's going on? And how can I stop it, because I'm eating up memory at a considerable rate.

thanks

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not too familiar with the RDR recorders, however it has been suggested before by another expert of this forum that the following (in this order) can cure many issues:

1. Factory Reset
  2. Unplug from main for at least 1 minute
  3. Easy setup 

Try that and see how it goes.

Cheers

dwoodward13
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them all. In that order and there is no improvement. Today I recorded a half hour program and the recorder went on for nearly 4 hours until whatever prompted it to stop.

Any other suggestions out there, or is that all I can do?

cheers

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm not familiar with this, but I know that the EPG in UK (are you based there) has specific feature available only with Freeview such as series recording and adjustment of the timer with update got from the broadcaster. So, in my opinion you should check the following:

• be sure you have the latest fw (I didn't find any information on that, maybe is the same of the RDR-HXDx70 series... so the 1.70
  • confirm if the problem happens only on channels on the same mux or on all the channels (in case is the same mux maybe tehere is something wrong with the broadcaster)
  • verify if there is some option you can set to avoid the timer update feature (in my italian version there is no option)

Just checked on the internet and updated version should be 1.01.11. ASk for it (if you don't have it) to the customer service.  http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1222800

dwoodward13
Explorer

I am in the UK. Problem channels so far include: BBC1, BBC3, CBBC, E4+1 and ITV1, so not all on the same MUX as far as I can tell.

Firmware is 1.01.11 CE, so up-to-date.

I don't think there is a timer update feature.

This started in early september. Could it have coincided with a software upgrade or a change in one of the broadcast signals?

Recent developments include that the MUX including Dave and E4+1 have got a bit dodgy (none of the others though). I can't see this being relevant though.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you set a manual timer, the problem is the same?

jandytimes
Explorer

I too am experiencing this issue.  I have noticed for certain programmes that if you look at the programme information [press i button on remote] the programme details have not advanced  i.e. still shows programme details for the previous show and this may be why there is no signal to stop the recording

I would love to know the solution too

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What you are adding seems to address some problem within freeview rather than the recorder... try to set up a manual timer and see if it stops correctly

dwoodward13
Explorer

Manual timer works perfectly. Machine reads correct time.

I think it is related to what one of the previous posters stated. The program information is not being refreshed, so it still thinks that a particular progtram is on, long after it has finished because it has not advanced to the next program. I don't know how the software works, but it's like the internal (EPG) clock stopped.

jandytimes
Explorer

I too have done a manual recoridng and it was fine - no problems.

So it does point towards the EPG not keeping in sync - any ideas what the next steps are