Join now - be part of our community!

EPG timer Rec problem

dwoodward13
Explorer

EPG timer Rec problem

I have a Sony RDR-HXD560. For nearly two weeks now, it has been starting the EPG timer rec fine but simply fails to stop. I have in some cases inadvertantly recorded 8 hours of TV because it didn't stop after the original 30-min program had ended. In most cases, however, the amount of extra time is random.

I can seemingly make the EPG 'remember' to stop recording by going to the EPG and simply selecting (ie highlighting or sometimes selecting with 'enter') the program that I don't want to record - ie the first program that is erroneously recorded. Then the EPG flickers a bit and recording stops.

So, what's going on? And how can I stop it, because I'm eating up memory at a considerable rate.

thanks

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

When you set a timer via the EPG, is there an option named "EPG link"? if so, can you set it to off? It should cancel the timer update via EPG...

dwoodward13
Explorer

This option does not exist in the EPG timer rec.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

So a manual recording works fine.  Just not EPG and across various muxes too.  I dont suppose you are picking up another transmitter by any chance?  Try doing a manual tune for one of the problem channels and test?

More information on manual tuning : HERE

Cheers

PS: My mum has a Sony HDT-500b recorder, and ever since the re-tune, series recording on HD channels fails (SD works fine) - Im wondering if this is coincidence or part of a wider issue.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't know if it applys to your HDD, and I cannot check since I have an HXD870 set up for Italy, but this is an extract of the 870 manual timer setting menu in which is shown both Series Recording and EPG link: do you have a different menu?

timer.jpg

dwoodward13
Explorer

It is a different menu. There's no 'EPG link' or anything similar.

dwoodward13
Explorer

Clicking on this link takes me to a page that says 'Disallowed Key Characters' and nothing else...

I'll see if I can have a go at finding alternative channels.

dwoodward13
Explorer

So I've had chance to look on the internet and find the location of the muxes from what I think is my transmitter.

The digital TV website is not working, keep getting error message in post above.

The DVD recorder does not seem to have a manual tuning option. In the 'tuning' menu, it has 3 options: 'auto tune', 'sort programmes' and 'hide prorgammes', so I can't check that it has found the right channels, but my TV (a separate tuner, obviously) is tuned to the right frequencies.

I don't wish to sound defeatist, but I think this is turning into either a software problem or a transmission problem, neither of which I can do anything about. Do you agree? Or am I giving up too soon?

m66mgg
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem.

How many others?

What's the solution Sony?

jandytimes
Explorer

I just called the Sony support line in the UK and was told they do not have a solution for this issue.

The person at their end explained that the unit has a tuner capable of receiving digital and analogue signals however now we are all digital, the unit cannot cope with all the information it receives digitally.  We are able to view the programmes and see the EPG information however it does not always respond to updates.  Not sure if this is a standard statement that Sony use when they have no solution

Obviously not happy with the response and they did take a note of this and will pass it on.  I also got the impression that Sony do not look at these community posts however I would love them to prove me wrong as I have felt that Sony offered excellent customer services.  Is this changing?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just another test you may try. Since you cannot switch off the "EPG link" option, you should be able to manually modify the end of the timer when you set it. Let's try to set it 5 minutes after the EPG end of the program and see if it unlink the check with the EPG during the recording...