Join now - be part of our community!

EPG timer Rec problem

dwoodward13
Explorer

EPG timer Rec problem

I have a Sony RDR-HXD560. For nearly two weeks now, it has been starting the EPG timer rec fine but simply fails to stop. I have in some cases inadvertantly recorded 8 hours of TV because it didn't stop after the original 30-min program had ended. In most cases, however, the amount of extra time is random.

I can seemingly make the EPG 'remember' to stop recording by going to the EPG and simply selecting (ie highlighting or sometimes selecting with 'enter') the program that I don't want to record - ie the first program that is erroneously recorded. Then the EPG flickers a bit and recording stops.

So, what's going on? And how can I stop it, because I'm eating up memory at a considerable rate.

thanks

33 REPLIES 33
m66mgg
Explorer

As you say, Sony's response is less than helpful.  You would have thought a company like Sony would be constantly monitoring these community posts and feedbacks to help improve customer service and product quality!  Perhaps a naive thought of mine...!!

m66mgg
Explorer

If I set up EPG in the normal way and then go into 'timer' it does not allow me to manually change the end times.  The only way is to cancel and then reset the times manually... defeating the whole object of EPG. 

I am getting round the problem on EPG by setting the programme I want, immediately followed by the setting the next random programme.  By this way the programme I want cuts off at the correct time and the following random programme records on for hours (to whatever triggers its stop) - to be deleted when I next go on. 

Far from ideal but it gets round the problem until someone (or maybe even Sony) can come up with a proper fix! 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Here I'm really guessing since I'm in another country with a different model...

Maybe one more try that you can do is selecting a different (and featureless) country that doesn't have the advanced feature that freeview supports (like series recording and EPG link).

You may try even with Italy as country (I don't remember but you should be able to retain English as language). If you succeed to tune your channels (it should be possible since the only difference that I know is that Italy supports also VHF channels scanning that you don't have in UK), you should be able to change the end time of the recording (I actually can) and in any case there should be no link with EPG data even without changing the timer setting.

Maybe you find some problem with automatic channel numbering (LCN) that may be different from country to country, but if it works could be a minor problem.

Obviously this is a work around, but my opinion is that nobody in Sony is willing to revise the firmware of such an old (by techonology timescale) machine and there could be a problem  also due to the fact that those machines are actually Pioneer rebranded ones ...

TAB_HXD860
Explorer

Hi, I've got the same problem with my HXD860. It only seems to have started after the recent channel renumbering update that we all had to do as the message reminding you to do it kept coming on the screen every time you switched your tv on. The only way I can see around this problem is to set the timer manually - a bit of a pain I know but cheaper than replacing what in every other respect is a perfectly good machine. I only use it on my second small tv anyway to record things I can watch while my wife watches Eastenders etc...GRRRRR!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Have you tried any of the suggestions I gave above? I didn't get any feedback so I don't know if it helps or not.

Be sure to reset the machine and unplug it from main for at least 2 minute in any case, so you are sure your HDR has really got the new channels updates....

m66mgg
Explorer

Hi - I just kept retuning it and eventually the problem cleared. 

It's fine now but I'm not sure what caused the problem and what cured it!

Thanks to everyone for their help...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Probably it has nothing to do with whichever action you took, broadcasters should have modified the way they send the epg data... In any case good for you :slight_smile:

TAB_HXD860
Explorer

I've tried all the suggestions but with no luck, so I'll just set the timer manually until if and when a there is a fix for the problem. If there isn't a fix then manual it will have to be because I'm not throwing out a great machine which can edit recorded programmes and then burn them to dvd if I want to keep anything. I can do the same with my Humax but it involves copying the file to my pc, converting the file, editing it in Sony Vegas, before I can finally make a dvd!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Have you tried also settig your machine for a different country?

In any case it seems that with time it will be solved by itself

dwoodward13
Explorer

I have been meaning to add something for a while but couldn't remember my password...

Anyhow, nothing suggested here worked. But the problem stopped after a few weeks.

Relief all round.

Thanks for all the help from all the helpful folks. It's makes a big difference to know you're not alone with it.

d