Equipment with FREEVIEW failures

sending this to Sony

Many thousands of people are having the same problem, I have 2 RDR's,

both failed at the same time last night, a million yo one chance if it

was a single machine fault, rang 4G to see if it was there problem they

said my area not on 4g yet, but as others with Sony equipment had the

problem, to try the Feeview supplier, phoned them and they said we have

no problem with our signals, but have had hundreds and hunreds of calls

from people with Sony equipment, and it seems to be a major Sony fault.

they gave me a number, but as it is saterday no one their till monday,

would have thought an international company as they are, would have a

decent help line.

If Sony do not respond quickly, only alternatives are to flood the Government

and media with complaints eg, media watchdogs, Office of fair trading

(Equipment not fit for purpose)m and local MP's ( but as they are on

holiday!!!!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi everyone,

We are sorry you are experiencing this problem. We are aware of this issue and it has been flagged to our dedicated team.

We will update you as soon as we have more.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
andyleroo
Explorer

Hi brduffy - is this true?  I also had a Sony RDR-HXD870 seem to fail last night, I can do everything on it except watch normal freeview channels.  Very strange.

athoak57
New

Have also got total Sony failure on two TV's. One is attached to old analogue tv which means no picture at all, except for things that have been recorded previously. Other is on digital TV so can still watch TV but no recording. Can't believe there is no Sony contact on the weekend, and that there isn't news about this on the web. 4g people said that they'd had notification from Sony last night that there was a problem, so WHY isn't it on their website??? I shall certainly complain to all and sundry about this.

EFBenson

Hope Sony don't try and blame 4G - this is so widespread and )as far as I can tell) affecting only Sony that it must be a software/firmware/whjatever fault
sbrobbs
Explorer

I have 2 rdr-hxd995 that have also stopped working called the 4g info line but not yet live in my area which is stockport. call digital information helpline they said have received lots of calls about sony's not that have stopped working. Cannot phone till monday So why no   help on their website..

profile.country.en_GB.title
Owenss

My RDR-HXD970  has the same problem. I could watch pre-recorded programs but had no picture or sound even though I retuned it and could select the channels. This morning it is just stuck in Up date and will not turn on?

I have found a previous thread that has a way of uploading 1.70 software via CD at  http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/RDR-HXD970/downloads/FW_DVDR_170 I dont know if it will work but will try later to see if that fixes it. I will then turn auto update off untill Sony can sort the latest update problem.

EFBenson

if you check other threads on this forum I think you'll find that having, or updating to, 1.70 makes no difference. But the France fix, reported in other threads here is a good temporary fix

HELLO ALL

I have a sony RDR HXD890

Same problem Here. Lost all digital channels, just a black screen. The tuner still seems to somtimes show the chanel info (such as BBC breakfast) The DVD player and HDD playback still seems to work.

I tried the firmware update this starts okay then it just hangs at DOWNLOAD-5 with the tray open forever. left it all night and tried again with a CDR and  writable DVD - both got stuck at DOWNLOAD-5.

I thought the heat had killed the unit - but if everyone has the same problem at the same time looks a bit more suspect. - maybe a bad update was broadcast?

I thought it may also be interferrence form the rollout of 4G but I was assuered by 'at800'  that there is no test transmission in my area at this time.

Just went in to the menu and selected replace channels, Then selected French option and it went through the motions of tuning, It then spent a few minutes auto tuning the clock...and then it actaully appears to tune

Great fix for the short term to get the digi channels back. Although It is only a partial solution becuase the Digital Guide is still empty.

Good Luck

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi everyone,

We are sorry you are experiencing this problem. We are aware of this issue and it has been flagged to our dedicated team.

We will update you as soon as we have more.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.en_GB.title
stroger8938

I have this problem with my RDR-HDX790. Thinking it was a failure of the hardware I went out and bought a new LG recorder today. Will be EXTREMELY annoyed if this turns out to be  bad update over the air from Sony. I live in Thanet btw. While I was out I bumped into another person with the same issue and they wanted to buy a new box as well. There will be probably many hundreds of folks in the same position. I needed a working recorder for my wife today so waiting for an update from Sony would not be acceptable.

stuart