Equipment with FREEVIEW failures

sending this to Sony

Many thousands of people are having the same problem, I have 2 RDR's,

both failed at the same time last night, a million yo one chance if it

was a single machine fault, rang 4G to see if it was there problem they

said my area not on 4g yet, but as others with Sony equipment had the

problem, to try the Feeview supplier, phoned them and they said we have

no problem with our signals, but have had hundreds and hunreds of calls

from people with Sony equipment, and it seems to be a major Sony fault.

they gave me a number, but as it is saterday no one their till monday,

would have thought an international company as they are, would have a

decent help line.

If Sony do not respond quickly, only alternatives are to flood the Government

and media with complaints eg, media watchdogs, Office of fair trading

(Equipment not fit for purpose)m and local MP's ( but as they are on

holiday!!!!)

17 REPLIES 17
pewrigh38

I have erased my timer settings, used easy setup to select english language and france location and its working again, then set it to digital epg instead of guideplus, the epg is now empty and a different colour menu etc
when sony (or pioneer) issue a fix all the boxes need doing, all over the country

if yours is stuck in UPDATE mode, hold power for 5 secs, when it switches off quickly tap the power button a few times and it will wake up but no freeview channels will work, but you can access the title list or use the dvd player
I would set it to the france location for now until sony or pioneer fix it properly

profile.country.en_GB.title
stroger8938

I just tried setting mine to France and now I can get the UK freeview channels to work, although it take a bit of fiddling. So dont know if this is Freeview or a Sony issue or a mixture of both. Still mighty mad about this....

Stuart

Owenss

I tried downloading the 1.70 software but could not get the recorder to recognise the CD (Must have copied it incorrectly). However, using the France setting has now resulted in the picture and sound comming back. 

baldbalrog
Explorer

It doesn't work - DO NOT TRY IT as it may  up yiour recorder.  Gets as far as DISC DWLD, then reverts to time and channel number and does nothing else.  Ony's problem.  Sony's fix,  Sony's instructions - all bl00dy useless

[Edited to remove profanity]

johkaye
Explorer

Why all the ranting at Sony?  As far as I know they do not broadcast firmware updates.  This could be a change to the Freeview EPG data that the RDRs don't handle.  If new firmware is needed to overcome it, it could be some time so try the "France" work around.

Stuff happens.  Wait and see what they can do for us.  The most worrying thing is that many people will be unaware that it isn't a hardware problem and will be out buying new equipment.

As for "flooding the government with complaints..." 

This is a first world problem.  Nobody died.

pewrigh38

futaura posted this on av forums whic although technical may indicate the cause of the problem and he has also indicated on there that other machines and makes are also affected, so I do not believe this problem is of sony`s own making

here is the technical post

Just to elaborate on my previous post, the EIT/EPG data appears to be corrupt for all Sky channels, including Pick TV and Challenge. Specifically, the programme CRID is malformed (missing an all important '/' character which separates the authority and data portions of the CRID) for every programme on these channels. Could be that the Sony boxes are not handling this correctly. In theory, it should be whoever maintains the Sky EIT data who provides the fix - Sony arguably shouldn't need to fix anything. That said, they really ought to handle the broken data somewhat more gracefully, but I think we are going to see that this is affectly many other boxes too.

unquote

SO IF ITS TRUE ITS CORRUPT EPG DATA ON THE SKY CHANNELS that caused it

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

before posting any further comments please read this thread

***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

I have locked this thread in a hope that we can limit the number of thread so to avoid confusion & make it easier for users to find the latest information..

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

john.williams.007
Explorer

I like may others have lost access to freeview channels and EPG

I need to be added to the list to receve information on this issue.