Join now - be part of our community!

Freeview Recorder Doesn't Show the 'New' Film4!

niicko

Freeview Recorder Doesn't Show the 'New' Film4!

Really strange, this - after the recent change to Film 4 (Channel 15), I cannot get the broadcast display or sound on my RDR-HXD870 Freeview Recorder. Instead, I just get a black screen followed by "This channel is not in service" (as an error-message, not a broadcast message). I have tried Initial Setup > Digital Tuner > Replace Channels, which ought to work - and even resorted to a full reset (Stop-Power) to totally start again with the channel storage, and still no audio-visual content is evident on Channel 15, although both the title and the EPG schedule are there as expected.

The (Samsung) TV shows Film4 without problems, although I did have to do the complete retune to get it, which was a pain - losing all favourites and some other stuff. At least it works OK after that, though, whereas there was no such joy with the Sony, so I can watch Film4 (via the Samsung TV's tuner) but cannot record it (via the Sony recorder's tuner)... Except, that is, an hour behind by using Film4+1, which works fine (on both devices).

The RDR-HXD870 does have the latest-available firmware (v1.70) installed, and the other Freeview channels seem fine, including the new Film4+1 - it's just the 'replaced' Channel 15 (Film4) that won't seem to work.

Can anyone help with this problem? It's been a bit fraught, lately, with Freeview on my Sony recorder! Does anyone else have the same problem?

23 REPLIES 23
dathmar
Explorer

BTW - I registered just to update this thread as I could feel your pain.
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hello dathmar,

your problem seems a little different since you succeed in tuning film4, soo maybe for you there is quite a simple solution: reset your recorder (stop and power off button on the deck - no dvd on the tray); unplug from main for 1 minute; power on and go trough the easy setup procedure.

After that, you'll not have anymore the prolem with tuning "forgot" after poweroff. At least for a period (and in case just redo the procedure).

Hope it helps

niicko

Sorry to anybody with the same problem who might be following this thread for an answer. Sorry on two counts - that you have the problem and that I have been really lax in echoing 'findings' to the thread.

Actually, on 3 counts - read on, if you're interested in either the (remaining) problem that was reported way back in early September.

In early March of this year, after 6 months of this issue being 'looked into', this is what I received:-

"
Thank you forcontacting Sony Support.

In regards to the escalation that has been made for your case, pleaserefer back to the broadcaster support, as after the investigation, we believethat the problem is with the broadcaster not with the device.

I hope that thisinformation has been helpful. Should you have any further questions, pleasefeel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for yourenquiry.

Yours sincerely
"

Absolutely pathetic. My response to this was:-

"
I'm sorry but that is utter rubbish and I think that you know that too.

After all of the testing/retuning I have had to do and with comparisons to the Samsung TV that takes the same Freeview feed, I can say with a high degree of certainty that the freeview service is actually working OK and it is in fact (FACT!) only the Sony recorder's software that is automatically removing the wrong channel in this manner. Your reaffirmation that it is the broadcast at fault - in the face of all the evidence pointing to the Sony recorder - is not confidence-inspiring;  the advice to take it up with the broadcaster in the hope that they would make changes to everybody's Freeview broadcast in order to work around the problems manifested only by a non-compliant Sony recorder is nothing short of laughable.

Were I to accept the advice given so far - which, given my comments above, would presuppose that I therefore accept that Sony's customer support is no customer support at all - I would still have the following questions in my mind about this 'technical problem':-

1. Is the problem unique to Sony HXD870 recorders that, like mine, have the v1.70 firmware installed?
 2. If yes to 1, how can such recorders be reverted back to their original firmware?
 3. If 2 is impossible, when will Sony be issuing a correction to the v1.70 firmware that allows it to cope with the 'vagaries' of Freeview broadcasting and perhaps also fixes the disc-finalising problems manifested by the v1.70 firmware that were not evident in the original firmware?

Regards
"

And what did I get in response? This!:-

"
Dear Sir Madam

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In regards to your query, we can confirm that the reported issue from your side is not known as mentioned as it is not fault in the device; unfortunately, there is no downgrade for the software of this DVD recorder “RDR-HXD870” or any of our devices.

I am sorry I cannot be of greater assistance in this matter; however, I hope that this information has been helpful. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely
"

Thank you for trying, Quinnicus - but as for your hope that I would get "a more technical answer one way or another", read the above! I think I could even cope with Sony telling me that they won't be able to correct the error but to infer that the issue is nothing to do with the Sony recorder and instruct me to unilaterally lobby Freeview for changes to be made to their service is well short of any customer support at all.

After this 'experience', am I disappointed? Very. Will I recommend a Sony product again? No, I will not. Will I buy another Sony product? I have already cancelled a prospective (expensive!) Sony purchase and erred on the safety of another brand. It's not that I now 'wouldn't touch Sony products with a barge-pole', more that I no longer see them as potentially any better than another large brand and therefore am more likely to be swayed by price (so I might never buy another Sony product, in that case!!!).

EDITED: Keywords added:-

customer,support,customer support,unsupported,Film4,Freeview,HDD,recorder,RDR-HXD870,1.70

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Niicko

Thank you for the reply back - always interested in hearing the conclusions.  Unfortunately its not the answer you want, and I guess you just have to accept it now - I have no other suggestions to offer either. 

Time for a new HDD Recorder?

Cheers