Join now - be part of our community!

Help needed with Blu-ray

SOLVED
profile.country.da_DK.title
lupemail
Visitor

Help needed with Blu-ray

Just bought a Blu-ray player, BDP-S280, and hooked it up to my STR-DA5200ES with a HDMI cable. No picture and no sound. I have tried three different HDMI cables plus all three connections on the DA5200ES without success. When I hook up the Blu-ray player directly to the TV (KDL-46EX500) set I get picture but no sound. I have been sourcing the TV signal through the HDMI on the DA5200ES for years with no problem. What is wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

i have no idea why with HDMI pass thru you dont get either without actually looking at it and playing around with it, i certainly dont have that facility, however-

what you said about connecting the player to the tv and getting picture and no sound is curious as i get sound from my 570 if im not using the amp (tv speakers) however you can get sound from the amp if you add either a Digital Coaxial or Optical lead from your player to your Amp ( Optical cheapest option).

be sure to set this in set up of your player under Audio settings.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

i have no idea why with HDMI pass thru you dont get either without actually looking at it and playing around with it, i certainly dont have that facility, however-

what you said about connecting the player to the tv and getting picture and no sound is curious as i get sound from my 570 if im not using the amp (tv speakers) however you can get sound from the amp if you add either a Digital Coaxial or Optical lead from your player to your Amp ( Optical cheapest option).

be sure to set this in set up of your player under Audio settings.

profile.country.da_DK.title
lupemail
Visitor

Hi,

thank you for your input, it gave me the idea to connect the 280 directly to the TV with a component cable and through the receiver with the HDMI. Thus I was able to make changes in the Blu-ray setup and check the effect by switching between inputs to the TV. I finally found that when I change the "HDMI Deep Colour Output" to Off, I get both picture and sound through the HDMI. Apparently the DA5200ES does not support the HDMI Deep Colour.

I am ashamed to say that the originally reported lack of sound through the component cable was due to the TV sound being switched off...

Now everything works and I am happy!